Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing View Cube, Coordinate Axes, Sketch Doesn't Display

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2553 Views, 15 Replies

Missing View Cube, Coordinate Axes, Sketch Doesn't Display

Hey all,

I just installed a student version of Inventor Pro on my comptuer.  I have used this and several other similar software packages before.  My problem:  when I open a new part file, it takes me to a gray screen.  No coordinate axes, view cube, nothing.  When I click "Create 2D Sketch," still nothing.  Same gray screen.  If I draw a line, it doesn't show anything.

I've gone to View -> Object Visibility, and everything seems to be checked off as it should be.  I've also clicked User Interface, and it shows the View Cube among other things as being selected.

The software didn't prompt me for an activation key, not sure if that may be relevant to the problem?  Hope you guys can help.  Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Post screen shot.

System specs?

Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab set to lowest setting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

System Specs:

-Intel core i5-2410M CPU

-8 GB RAM

-64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

-320 GB HD

-Intel HD Graphics Family, 1696 MB total available graphics memory.

Screenshot attached.

Message 4 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

When I click "Create 2D Sketch," still nothing.  Same gray screen.  If I draw a line, it doesn't show anything.

Your screen capture is not in the Sketch Environment.
Expand the Origin folder in the browser.

Right Click on the XY Plane and select Sketch.

Attempt to sketch a line and then attach the screen capture again.

Post a screen shot of your Toosls>Application Options Hardware tab.

Have you rebooted the computer and the problem persists?

Did you install with UAC turned off?

Have you downloaded the Tutorial files?

Can you open them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Same problem when I try to do the tutorials.

New screenshot attached.

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

Read this thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-2014-Crashes/td-p/4427495

and I still don't see a screen shot of your Application Options>Hardware tab settings.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks for your patience so far.

I just read the other thread.  I am the admin on my computer, but I did also click "run as administrator" to the same effect.  I did not understand what the "UAC" slider was that was referenced, though.

Attached is a screenshot of the Application Settings -> Hardware tab.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

Has this issue been resolved yet? I'm having the exact same problem on all the PCs in my department.

I just started working in a High School's Design and Technology Department. The PCs in the Design Labs have all got Inventor 2014 Student Version installed, and they all have this exact same problem of greyed-out window. No ViewCube, No Coordinate Axes, Sketch Does'nt Display when i try to sketch.

It seems the PCs have been like this in a while according to the teachers in the department.

All Settings are Default or have been made Default, Updates done, Tried Repairing too, but still the problem persists.

I'm desperate for a solution at the moment. Please. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: The PCs Specifications are equivalent to the Minimum Required Spec for Inventor Pro 2014 as shown on the Autodesk's website.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

Has this issue been resolved yet? I'm having the exact same problem on all the PCs in my department.

I just started working in a High School's Design and Technology Department. The PCs in the Design Labs have all got Inventor 2014 Student Version installed, and they all have this exact same problem of greyed-out window. No ViewCube, No Coordinate Axes, Sketch Does'nt Display when i try to sketch.

It seems the PCs have been like this in a while according to the teachers in the department.

All Settings are Default or have been made Default, Updates done, Tried Repairing too, but still the problem persists.

I'm desperate for a solution at the moment. Please. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: The PCs Specifications are equivalent to the Minimum Required Spec for Inventor Pro 2014 as shown on the Autodesk's website.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Message 10 of 16
JDMather

@bfreemanGU7W9 wrote:

....I'm desperate for a solution at the moment. Please. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You have not really answered any of the specific questions posed in this thread.

PS ..... What does this mean.  Exact specifics! Not even a statement of the version of Windows OS?  Not even a statement of the version of 2014 Service Pack and Updates?

And all begs the question, since schools get Inventor for free - why are you attempting to install an ancient version of the software?

This problem can be solved - but specifics (including screen capture information) is needed.

Message 11 of 16
mcgyvr

Tools..application options.. hardware tab.. check "Software graphics" and then restart Inventor..

Does it work now?

If so that points to your graphics card.

You probably just need to update the driver to the latest version from the manufacturers site and then restart your computer, then start Inventor again and uncheck the software graphics and then restart Inventor again..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks a lot mcgyvr. It seems to be working at the moment with the "Software Graphics" option checked. The PCs are running on Intel Graphics and are up-to-date as I have recently ran an update on all of them.

Thanks again.

Bob

Message 13 of 16
mcgyvr

@bfreemanGU7W9 wrote:

Thanks a lot mcgyvr. It seems to be working at the moment with the "Software Graphics" option checked. The PCs are running on Intel Graphics and are up-to-date as I have recently ran an update on all of them.

Thanks again.

Bob

@Anonymous Bob, Running on software graphics WILL slow Inventor down..

You will want to get this sorted out and NOT run software graphics modes.. Thats kind of a "diagnostic" setting to let you know if your graphics card/driver is the problem or not and it clearly is..

What "specifically" is "Intel Graphics" (model number of graphics card/chip?) and what specific driver are you using?

Have you tried going to " Conservative" and unchecking software graphics? (and then restarting Inventor).. Does that work?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

@mcgyvr The PCs are running on:

* Intel Core i3 (1st & 2nd Gen) and Intel Pentium Dual Core Processors with Intel's Built-in graphics (Not dedicated graphics cards).

* 32-bit Windows 7.

* 4GB RAM.

I believe Windows is up-to-date on all the PCs (which should include the Graphics Drivers, i think), but I will be searching manually for Driver updates later today, and I will let you know the outcome.

I have Inventor 2014 version installed so I don't have the "Conservative" mode, but "Compatibility" mode. I will be trying it out like you suggested.

Will let you the outcome when i'm done, and thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bob

Message 15 of 16
mcgyvr

Good luck Bob..

Sounds like its time to start begging for new computers.. 

Graphics cards should be Direct3D 9 or compatible graphics card at a minimum for 2014

Newer versions of Inventor aren't even 32 bit compatible.. 

Frankly I'm surprised you can install/activate 2014.. I thought there was something about only being able to use 3 year old software max or something like that..

This makes me remember how slow Inventor was on 32 bit/4G ram max.. I couldn't even function with hardware like that today.. I'd just fall asleep waiting on the computer.. 

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Hi @mcgyvr. Intel graphics drivers are all up-to-date like I thought earlier.

I have changed the hardware setting to "Compatibility" mode and it seems to be working fine at the moment. The students here are not doing anything to heavy on Inventor, just light 3D modelling and assemblies.

I will let you know if the issues comes up again.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report