Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing parts in IPN file-2012 Bug ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
gcross
1056 Views, 9 Replies

Missing parts in IPN file-2012 Bug ?

A couple parts that I moved from one subasy to another in an IAM are not showing in the associated IPN browser at all. Yet they are visible in the edit window & look as if they have tweaks applied.  I can click on & highlight them but there is no sign of them in the browser at all.

The parts are definitely in the browser of the IAM file though.

Is this a known bug?

Gary

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
csaba.stupak
in reply to: gcross

Could you reproduce this issue on a simplified dataset? Can you attach the simplified or the original dataset for more investigation?

Thanks,

Csaba

Message 3 of 10
gcross
in reply to: csaba.stupak

Csaba,

I don't know how to duplicate the problem not knowing what causes it.

The zipped original files are 7 MB. Where can I upload the data set for you? I would prefer not to make it public.

Thanks.

Gary

Message 4 of 10
stanislav.sedlak

Hi Gary,

I'm Stanislav and I known about this problem from Csaba.

So please send me this zipped file to my e-mail stanislav.sedlak@autodesk.com, I will take a look at this.

Regards,

Stanislav

Message 5 of 10
TomAllen

Inventor 2013

I know this thread is not current, but it is exactly the issue Im trying to address.

I have a large assembly that I do not want to "re-create" the .ipn/ .idw

It does not happen normally, but  has more than once.

After copying the design of a given assembly, I have replaced one assembly with 3 smaller sub assemblies in the .iam.

My procedure is as follows:

Locate sub-assembly in Browser/ Expand/ Highlight all 3 components within the assembly.

Drag them up in the hierarchy(No to check out) delete the original assembly without changes.

Replaced component on each of the 3 (sub) assemblies with desired (smaller) assemblies.

Sort Browser

update Bill of Materials

save.

Open .ipn

The assemblies that were modified highlight properly in the window but do not exist in the assembly browser

and there are idividual parts from those "modified" assemblies that appear to have been orphaned by the tweaks.

Ive had assemblies go awry in the .ipn before after replacing components or similar, but I can usually delete the problematic tweaks and recreate them without having to delete the original .ipn and re-create the entire drawing(s).

The modified assemblies are moved as if there are tweaks applied but if you switch the browser to tweak view and hover over the indivdual tweaks, no tweak exist for the modifed assemblies either.

Our only option has been to delete the original .ipn / .idw and re-create them. (undesirable)

Is there some way to refresh the browser?

Has my procedure created the issue?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (x64)

Intel I7 CPU

12GB ram

ATI FirePro V5800

IV 2013 SP1.1

Autocadd Mechanical 2013 SP1

Vault Basic 2013 SP1

Message 6 of 10
-niels-
in reply to: TomAllen

Just adding a link to my topic about what i think is the same problem.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Unable-to-expand-assembly-in-presentation-ipn/m-p/37...

Didn't know this older topic existed, but hope this problem will get some more attention and maybe a solution.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 10
Namoi1
in reply to: -niels-

I have this problem too! Exactly the same

using IV2015
C-H
Message 8 of 10
kiran_1021
in reply to: Namoi1

Hello I am using Inventor 2016.

& Still found same problem.

Autodesk should focus on this.

Message 9 of 10
TomAllen
in reply to: kiran_1021

It may not be a complete answer, but we did find that imported parts that were composite/surfaces did not show up in the .ipn until we copied them to the construction environment stitched them together and created a inventor solid. Then they showed up.

Also, it is possible to make them show up in the browser in the .ipn, although Im struggling to remember exactly how we did it. I wan to say it was a RMB and "show surfaces" or similar. Still as a surface, you wont be able to tweak regularly. Hope it helps.

Message 10 of 10
gcross
in reply to: TomAllen

Tom,

I'd say most of the offending parts that did not show up in IPNs were not surfaces or imported parts. They were definitely inventor parts that have been migrated & opened up separately to make sure they were ok. And they often are parts within a subasy.

I don't have any examples I can upload for company reasons unfortunately. I'm hoping switching to the new version will solve the issues.

Gary

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report