Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirroring parts in an assembly

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
exSWX
849 Views, 11 Replies

Mirroring parts in an assembly

Is it possible to maintain constraints of the parent parts when mirroring parts in an assembly?

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
PACDrafting
in reply to: exSWX

This is not possible.

Logically it is not possible anyways.

Message 3 of 12
stevec781
in reply to: PACDrafting

@PACDrafting wrote:

This is not possible.

Logically it is not possible anyways.

Some constraints do come across if BOTH references are in the mirrored set.  From the help ...

The Mirror command recreates any constraints that have both references in the set of components that you select for mirror or reuse. If the orientation of the new reference is ambiguous, the new constraint is suppressed.

It is logically possible. Solidworks does it great.  You can mirror about a global plane and then drag and watch as the mirrored parts dynamicaly follow in all 3 directions.  Definatley an ability that Autodesk needs to play catch  up on.

Message 4 of 12
PACDrafting
in reply to: stevec781

Yes but are you going to mirror using a global plane on all occasions?

Message 5 of 12
stevec781

@PACDrafting wrote:

Yes but are you going to mirror using a global plane on all occasions?

Since I use a common global coordinate system I would say about 99% of the time.

But SWx can be about any plane or face, I just used global as an example.  They have a symertry constraint and width constraint, which inventor doesnt, so its capability is probably based on that technology.

Message 6 of 12
PACDrafting

Common global coordinate system?

I need to see this work. Sounds good though.
Message 7 of 12
stevec781

Skeletal modeling using derived parts as composites when references are needed.  Most parts have their origin at 0,0,0 and they are grounded in their assembly at 0,0,0.  Sub assemblies are also grounded at 0,0,0.  Very few mates needed and very few associative sketches.  The only exception is when I place standard items from my library, but they are also modelled at 0,0,0 with the global orientation in mind to make it faster to mate them.

Message 8 of 12
PACDrafting

I understand skeletal modeling. Have modelled that way for years. But now use the multi body technique. Also have written code to include parameters from the main solid body file, then flat pattern the plates and populate thickness, width and length.

What if your solids aren't centered around the origin. How do you mirror them and keep constraints in the assembly?

Message 9 of 12
stevec781

No matter which plane I use, if grounding isnt suitable then I manually add the constraints, but its frustrating that there is no symetry or width type mates.  Makes it hard when needing to drag things around at the concept stage.

Go to 3min 30 on this video so see what I mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dnuZLdsz8&feature=related.  To be able to drag and maintain symetry is impossible in inventor because we have to enter an offset value which doesnt update live.  Notice also how they have a mirror feature which can be edited, we dont have that either.

Lets hope 2013 brings something new in this area.

Message 10 of 12
PACDrafting

Yep agree. Looks like sw are a step ahead here with this functionality.
You will find that both softwares will be ahead in different areas.
I'd actually like to see the grip snaps in inventor improved for quick conceptual work.
You might be out of luck for the next version of inventor for this mirror feature. Unfortunately.
Message 11 of 12
exSWX

I am aware of the SWX method, and just wondered if Inventor had indeed caught up.

Yep, let's hope 2013 brings some usable enhancements.

Thanks for your discussion.

Autodesk Inventor 2021
Intel Xeon W3520 @ 2.67GHz
Win 10 Pro
6.7 System Rating
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Message 12 of 12
PACDrafting

As I mentioned. Don't hold your breath for your mirror requirements in 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report