Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mirrored part, IDW creation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
290 Views, 9 Replies

mirrored part, IDW creation

Is there a way to create an .IPT file and associated .IDW file then derive a mirrored part and carry with it a mirrored .IDW?

Detailing parts that are almost identical except they are mirrored requires me to start from scratch with a new .IDW unless I am missing somthing.

Anthony.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

No. The IDW will see the derrived part as a totally new set of sufraces and will therefore detatch all dimensions.

If you wanted to give it a try you could make a copy of the IDW, rename the original IPT to a different name, open the copied IDW and when it asks where the model is point it to the derrived component model. Then rename the original IPT part back to it's original name.

MechMan
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Would this mirror all dims also?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Inventor noticed the conspiracy, and told me substituting parts is not allowed, and I should locate the original part file or stop the opening process.

Anthony.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Was the original IDW detailing an assy or a part? If it was an assy then yes IV may not like substituting an IDW of an assy model with a part model. It should work if your are substituting part for part.

MechMan
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

No, all your dims will become detached and worthless.

MechMan
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

It was a part file, pretty basic. Have you done this before or are you surmising?

Anthony
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Unfortunitly what you want to do cant be done. Sure you could relate a idw to a new ipt or iam but if what your after is saving your annotation work. Forget it.

Only other option would be to create new idw (view creation takes very little time) and re annotate.
Or depending on the amount of dims and cleanup save as Autocad and mirror.

In my opinion this is a huge! short coming and not just inherent to IV but also other modelers.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

My apologies Anthony. My technique does work but only with parts that are created by copying an exsiting model. This means that IV will recognize the new part as having the same ID as the original and therefore the IDW will accept it. So what I said won't work because the derrived component is seen as a totally new part that the copied IDW doesn't recognize.

If you have a lot of notes and other annotations you want to keep you can try this to save those. Do as I said in the previous post but when the IDW promts you for the model press the Skip button. When the IDW opens delete all the model views and insert views of your new model. You'll still have to redimension the part but might save you from recreating any other annotiations you may have.

Again, sorry for the misinformation.

MechMan
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

No problem, thanks anyway.

Anthony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report