Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror trouble

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pb12345
575 Views, 3 Replies

Mirror trouble

Hello Inventor users!

I have a problem with the mirror feature. As illustrated in the 4 pictures below, I first create a part, then try to mirror it and get a part, that is not mirrored at all. It's rather just copied and shifted.

So what could be the problem here? Anybody had similar issues?

Best regards, pb

edit:

Apparently, you can't mirror modified parts from the content center correctly... It works with parts that I created entirely myself. I can understand that with bolts and nuts from the content center, but L-shapes?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: pb12345

If parts still reside within the CC (most likely they are Read Only) you need to save the parts as Custom when you are creating them from the CC.

Mirroring within a IPT will create a mirror of the source along with the mirror. If you want to create a RH part and then mirror it to have a LH part as well, look at Derived function. Create your RH part, save and close it, then start a new part, close the sketch and return to the Feature level. Then select Derive, it will ask for the source part(your RH part), select this from the file select window. Then within the Derive window there is a box that needs to be selected for Mirror. This will then produce your LH part.

If the link is maintained, any changes to the base part (RH part) will be updated to the LH (mirrored) part.

Using the Mirror function within the IPT environment is really only good for designing a IPT that one side/half is a mirror of the other side.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: pb12345

In Step 3, you show the dialog box with "Reuse Standard Content and Factory Parts" checked.  What happens if you uncheck that?

Message 4 of 4
pb12345
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks a lot. Inserting with the custom option in the content center seems to do the trick.

I still find it a little odd, that the CC part apparently will mirror correctly, while the modifications on the part will not...

pb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report