Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror multiple solid bodies

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mk92
1124 Views, 13 Replies

Mirror multiple solid bodies

Hello,

is there a way to mirror multiple solid bodies at one? I have a part with 15 solid bodys and i need to mirror it with deleting the original one!

regards

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CCarreiras
in reply to: mk92

Hi!

You can use a "Derived part" to do that.

Pros:

Mirror based on the original in a row.

Don´t have to delete de reference mirrored parts

Link with the father... if you change the main part, you chandge the mirrored part automatically

You can always break or supress the link

Two different parts, two different part numbers.

Cons:

2 diferent files,  linked between, the "father" and derived part. (sometimes ca be a con but for me is a Pros)

Derived part is a solid based in father, doesn carry the tree of previous operations. (but is editable in the father for previous opersations and on the derived part for future edits)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
mk92
in reply to: CCarreiras

I think this method doesn't work for me. My model is a variable model and i have to do this in the same part. The user has a Parameter where he choses "left" or "right" and the model will be changed!

Normaly i do that with one solid body, but with 15 i have to mirror 15 solid bodys and this will cost a too much amount of performance.

Message 4 of 14
wimann

I have two suggestions:

1) How necessary is it for you to have 15 solid bodies? Would you be able to combine them then mirror? I'm fairly certain that you're determined to keep all 15 in the final product but it's worth asking.

2) Depending on the symmetry of your part, you may be able to use the "Move Bodies" command loacted under 3D Model/Modify. Activate the command. Select all of the bodies you wish to rotate. Then switch the move type from transitional to rotational. I'll post an image and highlight the location where this is changed. Then select your axis. Your axis should lie on the same plane you would be using to mirror. Set the degree angle to 180 and you should have one command that can create the same result as the mirror you're looking for. Then you would either suppress/unsurpress the feature or change the angle from 0 to 180 based on the user parameter.

Again, option 2 is very symmetry dependent. It's not for every situation.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 14
CCarreiras

Hi!

Do you prefer iPart or iLogic file?

Check the attached file: iPart

You can toggle to supress rigth or left solids in the operation's  tree.

Clipboard02.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
Cadmanto

If it is necessary that you have that many solid bodies in the part, you can insert this part into an assembly then mirror it there.  It will create a new mirrored part that you can play with from there.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 14
CCarreiras
in reply to: Cadmanto

HI

...you can insert this part into an assembly then mirror it there.

You're rigth, but... and in cases that you need only the mirror part?

(Of course you can delete the main part later from the assembly, but...

Ok, there are pros and cons for every situation).

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
mk92
in reply to: wimann

ok, let me try to answere all of your questions.

1. I do need all of the solid bodies. Because i want to keep the posibility to make them visible or invisible. Yes i know there is a much easier way with suppressing the modelling steps but i'll try to safe as much performance as i can while updating the model.

2. I do use iLogic, and have some beginner skills 😄 , so if there is a way - let me know!

3. Also i want to use only one file!

A lot of requirements i know 😄 

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Unfortunately, you need to mirror one body at a time. Currently, Mirror does not support mirroring multiple solids in one shot. Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14

@johnsonshiue 
Nothing changed in 6 years. I need this also in my model. 

Message 11 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: mechielvanvalen

@mechielvanvalen wrote:

@johnsonshiue 
Nothing changed in 6 years. I need this also in my model. 

I must be missing something in the problem description.

I just tried on my machine and it worked fine.

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 14

Hi! JD is right. I believe it has been partially addressed in 2018 or something. If it still does not work, please share an example. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 14
SBix26
in reply to: mechielvanvalen

The below image is Inventor 2021.  The Mirror Solids tool allows selection of multiple solid bodies.  In the browser you can use Shift-select to select a range of bodies without having to click each one.

Mirror Multiple Solids.png

Are you seeing something different?  What version of Inventor?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.1.2 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 14 of 14
FacebookGroupMember

Hi!

You can use a "Derived part" to do that.

Pros:
Mirror based on the original in a row.
Don´t have to delete de reference mirrored parts
Link with the father... if you change the main part, you chandge the mirrored part automatically
You can always break or supress the link
Two different parts, two different part numbers.

Cons:
2 diferent files, linked between, the "father" and derived part. (sometimes ca be a con but for me is a Pros)
Derived part is a solid based in father, doesn carry the tree of previous operations. (but is editable in the father for previous opersations and on the derived part for future edits)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the Accept as Solution or Kudos - Thank you!

Source Message URL: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/mirror-multiple-solid-bodies/m-p/5253355M520597

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report