Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mirror flat sheet dimension

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
akosi
841 Views, 14 Replies

mirror flat sheet dimension

hi

i mirrored a sheet metal the length in the folded model carried on to the mirrored part,

but i cant get the dimension of the flat part of the original part.

is there a way to do this.?

help

inventor 2011

vault pro 2012

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
blair
in reply to: akosi

No, as designed. If you did the Derive/Mirror, you would need to then convert this item to a Sheet-Metal with the correct thickness and then do the "Flat-Pattern" to get the flat lay-out. Most likely you have omitted this operation and your part is only a part and not a Sheet-Metal part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 15
swhite

Your best bet may be to mirror copy just the sketch, then create the mirrored part if you want a flat pattern for both original and mirrored part. Our shop just shows the original as "a L - AS SHOWN" then lists the mirrored part as "a R OPP HAND". This way the shop knows it must create a as shown and opp hand part. Some require showing both the as shown and opp hand parts, if such is the case you will have to create the opp hand part and vcreate a flat pattern for it, unless your flat pattern would be a mirror if shown from the back, then simply place another view of your flat pattern from the back and manually name the part, editing your bend notes to read the opposite direction of bend..

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you want to capture the parametric dimensions in the drawing view, you can simply place a back view (assuming front view is the mirror source) and retrieve the dimensions. But, you have to keep a note distiguishing the difference. Otherwise, it will be confusing to people looking at the drawing.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 15
akosi

My workflw is this:

I made a sheet metal with all the flanges , project geometry the edges to get the finish dim ( folded), unfold and proj geometry again to get the flat dim . Checked export dim for both folded and flat dim. Saved it as say "sm1".

Mirrored it and saved it as say "sm2.
Length from orig showed in sm2 automatically,
Ive changed the thickness to be able to have a flat sheet. Now i have a flat sheet.
But i cant get the flat dim from the orig. i can have a dim for my flat sheet by projecting geometry again but it would be easier if i can get thatdim from the orig. .

All our parts length are gathered in a list by exporting the lenght, for sheet metal we give the flat dim as well.

Idw for mirrored is not a problem .

So to recap my question, is there a way to show the flat dim of the orig part to the mirrored part?

Inventor 2011
Vault pro 2012

Message 6 of 15
blair

Just use the flat pattern then from the original part. Your break-up and break-down will be wrong. Instead of placing the view Top, use the view Bottom

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 15
johnsonshiue

Unforuntate, the answer to the question would be no. The flat pattern body is always in sync with the folded body.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 15
akosi
in reply to: blair

I dont have any problem with the idw. My problem is to get the flat dim of the orig exported to the new part.
The folded dim of the orig showed in the mirrored part but cant be edited and thats fine. I need the flat dim of the orig part exported to the new part coz it needs to be shown in a list.

Ex. Orig part111= 5555 mm; mirrored part222= 5555mm

Inventor 2011
Vault pro 2012
Message 9 of 15
akosi
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@ Johnsonshiue---And that is good. I want the orig to be alsways in sync with the mirrored. But i need both dim, folded and flat for both orig and mirrored . As i said i can do the dim for the mirrored but i want to get both dim from the orig so that i dont have to dim it again and both parts will always have identical dim always.
Message 10 of 15
akosi
in reply to: swhite

@swhite---showing the part is not a problem. Its the list of length of parts is my prob. Shop get only list of length. Withouht seeing the drawing , the 'cutter' will cut the part, then goes to the other guys that will do the notching . And so on..
Message 11 of 15
swhite

Open your mirrored part, go to parameters. At the bottom hit the link button. Find your original part and select the parameters you want to link and select them. These will know show up in the mirrored part.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 12 of 15
akosi

unfortunately flat dim doesnt show in the mirrored part 😞 Sent from my iPhone
Message 13 of 15
swhite

then go to the Parameters and add a custom parameter with your thickness name and add the value. it will then show in your BOM.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 14 of 15
akosi

it doesnt show the dim for flat piece Sent from my iPhone
Message 15 of 15
swhite

make sure you have the export checkbox checked in the part parameters for you thickness. In my example i have 3 set for export.

Export parameters.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report