Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mirror assembly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gehrkj02
566 Views, 4 Replies

mirror assembly

Here is what I want to do:

- Mirror an assembly about a plane

- Choose what parts I want to rename and what parts will stay the same part number

- All parts will be mirrored in assembly but not all will requrie new name

- I don't want the mirrored parts to be created as a dummy derived part

- I want the mirrored assembly and all parts to be broken from any associativity from original parts

- When it creates the mirrored part. All feature in design tree remain

Is there a way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pball
in reply to: gehrkj02

The mirror command in an assembly will do most of that. You can choose which parts will be reused and which will be mirrored. I've only used it to mirror symmetrical parts before so I've only had it reuse parts and not make new mirrored ones. So I'm not sure exactly how it makes mirrored parts.

I'll also throw out I've had so-so success with using the mirror command and everything being good to go. Meaning a lot of the time constraints seem to get messed up or it doesn't properly flip something. So there have been times I tried using mirror assembly to save time but then scrapped it and just made a copy and manually reconstrained it mirrored. Though on something large starting with the mirror command and then cleaning it up some might be faster.

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

Because you want a feature tree - I think you are going to have to do this at the part level, Save Copy As and Mirror Body with Delete Original Body (the feature tree will still be there).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
gehrkj02
in reply to: JDMather

This is not an efficient way to mirror multi parts in an assembly. Is this on the development list for Inventor?

Message 5 of 5
SteveMDennis

Hello,

Can you explain why you want the full feature tree in the mirrored part?

HOw do you plan on using those features later on?

By doing the derive workflow if the source part (let's say the RH) is changed the LH will update (geometrically) to match. For geometry the feature tree is not really necessary is it?

Can you explain your need a bit more relating to the feature tree?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report