Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 11 of 15 (263 Views)

Re: Minimum segment length violation in tube & pipe runs?

01-07-2014 06:02 AM in reply to: hheng1111

I really wish I could open your files.  Just as an FYI... I have all of my minimum segment rules set to .001, which is the smallest the program will allow.  This gives me the flexibility to determine the minimum segment length on a case by case basis.  That may not work for you in your application... just throwing it out there, but I almost never get violations.

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cadtipstricks.wordpress.com//

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 12 of 15 (254 Views)

01-07-2014 08:25 AM in reply to: cbenner

Yeah, we go by the specs in a tubing manual. It specifies minimum bend radius, minimum segment length before a bend, etc. I just enter the numbers into the style in inventor and let the program run the route. I'm looking to just have it as automatic as possible without me having to go into sketches and change things. I'm sure your way works great, but we sometimes have lots of tubing to run, so It would be nice if this was working correctly.

I reinstalled my 2013 Inventor and made the assembly again. The block itself is a little bigger than before, and I added another tube run.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 13 of 15 (250 Views)

01-07-2014 09:23 AM in reply to: hheng1111

I took a look at your files to see if I could figure anything out.  I was baffled at first, as it didn't seem to make any sense.  I adjusted the minimum length until the error went away, and it appeared to start working when the minimum segment length was 0.946.  Once the route was no longer comatose, I populated the route to see if anything showed up.  Sure enough, I saw that the tube sweep doesn't begin and end at the same place as the route 3D sketch.  There is a 0.05323427 gap before the tube actually starts (see the image), and this accounts exactly for the minimum segment violation problem.

I don't know why the tube doesn't start where you tell it to start...  I suspect it has something to do with the way the tube was authored, but I haven't figured out how to confirm that.

segment violation.PNG

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 14 of 15 (238 Views)

01-07-2014 12:07 PM in reply to: cwhetten
Wow, thanks for the insight. That is odd. Do you think this is something we can fix on our side, or is it up to Autodesk?
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 15 of 15 (228 Views)

01-07-2014 03:11 PM in reply to: hheng1111

It's hard to say.  I can't figure out where the discrepancy is coming from.  The size of the gap appears to change if the "Increment" parameter in the tube style is changed, but I've been unable to figure out the relationship.

So, barring a real solution to this problem, it looks like you will have to either adjust the values of either "minimum segment length" or "increment" in your tube style, or you will just have to increase the length of your sections of tube so that you don't get too close to the minimum.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.