Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
ASI_Aaron
Message 1 of 3 (159 Views)
Accepted Solution

Migration Deactivates Current Window

159 Views, 2 Replies
09-25-2013 03:01 PM

I am currently doing a migration of files to 2014. During the migration, does anyone elses windows active window you are working in deactivate while the Task Scheduler is running??  Trying to type an email got a bit annoying.  Minimizing the Task Scheduler will only work some of the time.  Its hit or miss. 

- Aaron -
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2014 SP1
ASUS G750JX-DB71
Windows 7 Pro
4th Gen Haswell i7-4700HQ
16GB Kingston DDR3 HyperX RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

Yes, it try's to bring itself to the front when it starts migrating a new file. If you watch the Task-Manager you can see it opening an instance of Inventor for each migration.

Generally this is the reason I start the migration process at the end of the work day. I do all IPT files on the first run, then all the IAM files on the second run and finally all IDW files for the last run. If we had more IPN files I would do them before the IDW run.

Most system settings give higher priority to "front" running apps and reduced priority to apps running in the background. 

And yes it's annoying.

We always "archive" all our files to disc before we migrate. Even though we back up every night, sometimes it's handy to be able to go back to a previous version.

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 3 (144 Views)

Re: Migration Deactivates Current Window

09-25-2013 04:14 PM in reply to: ASI_Aaron

Yes, it try's to bring itself to the front when it starts migrating a new file. If you watch the Task-Manager you can see it opening an instance of Inventor for each migration.

Generally this is the reason I start the migration process at the end of the work day. I do all IPT files on the first run, then all the IAM files on the second run and finally all IDW files for the last run. If we had more IPN files I would do them before the IDW run.

Most system settings give higher priority to "front" running apps and reduced priority to apps running in the background. 

And yes it's annoying.

We always "archive" all our files to disc before we migrate. Even though we back up every night, sometimes it's handy to be able to go back to a previous version.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 344.75
SpacePilot Pro 10.2.0 / 17.2.0.11011 / 4.17
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Valued Contributor
ASI_Aaron
Message 3 of 3 (140 Views)

Re: Migration Deactivates Current Window

09-25-2013 04:16 PM in reply to: blair

Interesting, thanks Blair.  I was unaware of the processes for the active window. Case closed...

- Aaron -
Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2014 SP1
ASUS G750JX-DB71
Windows 7 Pro
4th Gen Haswell i7-4700HQ
16GB Kingston DDR3 HyperX RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.