Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
coemter
Message 1 of 7 (494 Views)
Accepted Solution

Microsoft Security Essentials and Inventor

494 Views, 6 Replies
07-01-2011 02:30 AM

Recently i updated all workstations to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti virus. Now we notice some big performance issues when loading and saving to the Vault store.

The MSE is in default configuration, including real time protection.

Can this be a reason for the performance issue ?

And what will be the best configuration (if any)  of MSE to work with Inventor ?

real time protection is scanning the files.. Typically with most virus programs you can add file extensions to ignore.. (I always put .iam, .ipt, .idw,etc.. into the ignore list or you can put a folder to ignore.

Simply turning off real time protection to see if it gets faster again. (then add the ignore list and turn it back on)

*Pro
ampster
Message 2 of 7 (468 Views)

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials and Inventor

07-01-2011 05:18 AM in reply to: coemter

I use WSE and have no issues.  There was nothing that needed configuring in WSE in order to function with Inventor.

If you had McAfee or Norton, you may have left over stuff in the registry and such.  I know Norton provides tools to completely uninstall their software on their website, I don't know if McAfee odes however.

edit, however I do not use Vault so maybe there is something there, I can't imagine WSE would be scanning native Inventor files...

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 3 of 7 (463 Views)

07-01-2011 05:19 AM in reply to: coemter

real time protection is scanning the files.. Typically with most virus programs you can add file extensions to ignore.. (I always put .iam, .ipt, .idw,etc.. into the ignore list or you can put a folder to ignore.

Simply turning off real time protection to see if it gets faster again. (then add the ignore list and turn it back on)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 4 of 7 (462 Views)

07-01-2011 05:20 AM in reply to: coemter

I use MSE too on about 10 workstations.  No issues here.

What version of Vault are you using?

Active Contributor
coemter
Message 5 of 7 (406 Views)

07-05-2011 03:46 AM in reply to: coemter

Thank you for your input.

I was observing how disable real time protection change the performance. Without real time protection enabled performance is as before installing MSE.

[ Inventor + Vault 2011 ]

Distinguished Contributor
hans.martin.haga
Message 6 of 7 (348 Views)

07-06-2011 04:48 AM in reply to: coemter

You can configure MSE to only scan new incoming files, and also exclude entire folders or file types. See the settings tab.

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 7 of 7 (332 Views)

07-06-2011 06:01 AM in reply to: hans.martin.haga

I could be wrong, but I think that "exclude files,file types and process" from the system scan.  This helps speed up the system scan, but doesnt do anything to reduce the resources that MSE uses.

With the Real-Time protection turned on, you can choose to monitor all files, only incoming files or only outgoing files.  I dont see any way to exclude only certian process from the real-time protection.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.