Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menus and Dialog Boxes Dissapearing or Blacking Out

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
m.granata
511 Views, 11 Replies

Menus and Dialog Boxes Dissapearing or Blacking Out

Hello,

I am using Inventor 2013 to create some complex shaped Maritime items.  They have a lot of lofts, variable radius curves, fillets, etc.  Anyway, on the more complex pieces, my menus start to dissapear or a dialog box, for example the fillet dialog box, will turn solid black and my system will hangup for a minute while executing the command.  Am I running low on system memory or is this a video card issue?  Here are my system specs:

HP XW8400 with two 3.4 GHz Xeon CPU's

4 GB RAM

160 GB Western Digital Raptor Hard Drive with approx 90 GB free

Quadro FX 1800 Video Card

Windows 7 Professional

Autodesk Inventor Premium Design Suite

Thanks in advance for any information,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ampster402
in reply to: m.granata

I'd try upgrading the video driver if you haven't already.

Message 3 of 12
blair
in reply to: ampster402

Probably time to update your system, at least 8Gb of memory minimum and go to a 64 bit O/S. A fast gaming card with a couple of Gb of memory on the card.

With a 32bit O/S you are pretty much at the limite with 3 1/2 - 4Gb even with using the 3Gb switch in your start-up INI file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
m.granata

I forgot to mention, I am running a 64 bit Windows 7 Professional operating system as well as 64 bit versions of all software including the Inventor Premium Design Suite.  I believe my video card has 2 GB memory on it.  Seeing how a new workstation is not financially feasable I'm thinking of upgrading to 8 GB of system memory.  First, I'll check my video card driver and upgrade it if needed.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 12
karthur1

We were having a similar issue on several of our stations.  We were getting a message like "The video driver has stopped responding and recovered..." or something like that.  Are you getting any sort of message?

Message 6 of 12
blair

4Gb on memory with a 64 bit O/S would simular to having 3Gb with a 32 bit O/S. Upgrading to at least 8Gb would be a big help.

This would be a good place to compare graphic card performance: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ 

Inventor will be slightly different, but it should get you pretty close to real world performance with IV. A good gaming card is all that is now required for IV since the move by Autodesk back with IV11 to use D3D and move away from OpenGL.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
m.granata

karthur1,

I don't get any type of error message at any time.

Message 8 of 12
ampster402

how did the video driver update go that I suggested earlier, or did I miss that info...

Message 9 of 12
m.granata

ampster,

I haven't got to the video driver upgrade yet.  I'll likely do it this evening, then let you know.  I am in the process of getting drawings ready to mail to a client.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
m.granata

I upgraded the video driver to Nvidia's most current release.  After some use I will know if there is an improvement.  I would still like to increase the system memory from 4GB to 8GB.  Does anybody have a good source for system memory?  Apparently the ECC fully buffered memory my system requires is still a more expensive type, I can find it for about $250 plus shipping for 8GB.

It's been so long since I had to tinker with my system I am embarrassed to say I had mistaken some of its specs in my first post here.  The two CPU's are dual core 3 GHz Xeon's and the Quadro FX1800 video card apparently only has 758 or 768 MB ram.

Unfortunately I have other FEA software that requires an Open GL video card so at this time a Direct X gaming video card won't work for me.

Thanks,

Message 11 of 12
mrattray

I buy all of my computer hardware from http://www.newegg.com/.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 12
blair

I run Simulation Mech (formerly Algor) which is OpenGL on a "gamer" card without any problems. I used to be a Quadro fan until 3-4 years ago.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report