Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory usage according to the 'Memory Usage Meter'...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
KF090
754 Views, 5 Replies

Memory usage according to the 'Memory Usage Meter'...

After working on multiple files (a few ipt's and an iam), I closed all the files but the MUM still was in the yellow.  I gave it a few minutes and it didn't not drop at all.

Why does Inventor sometimes NOT release the memory it had been using well after all files are closed?

I had to completely shutdown Inventor in order to gain access to that memory again.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: KF090

Its actually done that way on purpose. Inventor is supposed to keep stuff in memory to allow you to open it quicker the next time. Its sometimes good and other times is a silly function. Closing and reopening Inventor will clear that as you have found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
Ray_Feiler

Also some of it has to do with undo file size.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 4 of 6
KF090
in reply to: mcgyvr

Is there anyone to change a setting so that is does not cache any files?

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you want to turn off the file caching activity behind the scene, there are two ways to do that. Please keep in mind, without caching, next time you open the same file will take the same time as you open it first time.

On Inventor, go to Application Options -> File -> uncheck "Enable Quick File Open" option at the bottom.

On Win7 or Vista, you may consider turning off a service called Superfetch.You will be turning off a default Windows function. Please search for relevent information on the web and understand clearly the consequence of turning off the option before you proceed.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
icreator3d
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, This is a little after the fact, but I'm having the same issue and unchecking "Enable Quick File Open" didn't fix the problem.  I use XP and Inventor 2012.  When I close files the memory drops a little bit, but most of it stays cached. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report