Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory leaks with Mesh Enabler?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
WHolzwarth
632 Views, 3 Replies

Memory leaks with Mesh Enabler?

I've tried it with this file:

https://grabcad.com/library/cnc-boring-1/files/CNC%20Boring.cgr

It's a CATIA CGR file. It can be imported into 2014, but Mesh Enabler took a long time in converting the mesh members to solids. In the end, I gave up.

Next attempt: Selecting only some meshes, converting them, saving them as a separate file, saving new file without them, and doing similar with the remaining meshes.

Normally no bad idea. But as can be seen in the screenshot, filesize is increasing over and over, even with less and less remaining meshes.

😉 What's going on here? Thanks for hints.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
YuhanZhang
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I opened the cgr file in Inventor 2014 but it is empty, can you re-attach it? And for the mesh enabler addin, its capacity is to convert mesh feature with no more than 5000 triangles(facets) into solid/surface. So if your data has a mesh feature with more than 5000 triangles it would fail to convert it. As for the converted file size, after convertion the new solids may have a lot of faces which will increase the file size dramatically.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
WHolzwarth
in reply to: YuhanZhang

Hi Rocky,

the CGR filesize is about 34 MB, no attachment is possible. But I'm in doubt, if your answer is correct. As can be seen at the screenshot, 2.8 millions of triangles were converted into an IPT with about 202 MB.

As mentioned earlier, I've tried to reduce filesize by splitting up into smaller sub-assemblies. But each split increased the remaining filesize. For example, CNC Boring_4. ipt has only 5 bodies left, but results in a 286 MB file.

IMO, this isn't logical.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
YuhanZhang
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hi Walter,

The huge numbers of faces will cause the file size increase a lot, in Inventor if you directly create a model with the same number of faces you can see the file size is similar, if we can optimize the mesh enabler to reduce the generated faces count then we can reduce the file size. An idea is that if the mesh enabler can recognize the triangles which indicates a cylindrical/sphererical face that we can just generate one cylindrical/sphererical face which will reduce the generated face count a lot, but current mesh enabler could not recognize the faces:(, and it should be very difficulty to implement this also.

If this solves the problem please click ACCEPT SOLUTION so other people can find it easily.

Rocky Zhang
Inventor API PD
Manufacturing Solutions
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report