Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure loop on inside edge of milled contour

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
thomas
417 Views, 6 Replies

Measure loop on inside edge of milled contour

Hello,

In my line of work I often have to measure the inside loop of a milled contour, to determine the inside diameter of an o-ring. In the current version of Inventor, it is a bit of a tricky thing to do. I have figured out a work-around by creating a new sketch and projecting the needed geometry. Then measure that to determine the loop lenght and calculate that back to a diameter. 

I was hoping that anyone could advise me on a quicker way to get the measurement i need, because creating, and afterwards deleting sketches just doesnt seem like the proper way to do this for every o-ring. For some designs i have to do this dozens of times.

In the attachments i tried to explane better what happens when I try to use the measure tool and select the loop. In the second image i have shown the projected geometry method that does work for me, however i feel like this is a lot of trouble for a single measurment.

Appreciate any reply, thank you

Kind regards,

Thomas

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: thomas

@Anonymous wrote:

... and afterwards deleting sketches just doesnt seem like the proper way to do this for every o-ring. For some designs i have to do this dozens of times.

Thomas

I would preserve these sketches for future reference and hide by simply dragging the red EOP above the sketches.
(I would probably name the sketches as well.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

Just hover over the face and use select other.. The proper loop can be selected without having to project anything. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: thomas

No need to create a sketch, use the MEASURE LOOP function and simply select the inside edge of the contour on the model. 

If need be, use the SECTION VIEW features to be able to select the geometry.

Measure Loop 1.JPG

Measure Loop 2.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 5 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: mpatchus

@Anonymous wrote:

No need to create a sketch, use the MEASURE LOOP function and simply select the inside edge of the contour on the model. 

If need be, use the SECTION VIEW features to be able to select the geometry.

Yes.. Now mike starting adding the other geometry (including fillets/chamfers) like the OP's image and you will see where the confusion can come from..

But as I stated "select other" works to allow you to select that specific loop without any sketches/proj geo. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: mcgyvr

OK I see the issue after adding the chamfers.

It does make selecting the loop more difficult.

You have to select the face, then SELECT OTHER to get to the correct loop.

Measure Loop 3.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
thomas
in reply to: mpatchus

Thank you all for the quick replies, my problem is now solved.

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report