Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure distance within a Half Section View

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
fsdolphin
1214 Views, 8 Replies

Measure distance within a Half Section View

Hi,

I have been trying to get measurments within a Half Section View but as soon as I select a component/surface inside the Section View, it desapears. this is something I used to do in SolidWorks but cannot figure this out in Inventor.

Is there a way to measure while in Half Section View mode? If NOT, what would be the options in Inventor to take measurments while in a Half Section View?

Thanks a lot for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dan_inv09
in reply to: fsdolphin

What version of Inventor?

They added some functionality to the half section view a while back and what you may be experiencing is that you did not complete the half section view.

You are supposed to be able to just hit return. In an early version you had to hit return and then right click to complete it (it said "Continue (Return)" implying that just hitting return would do the same thing as right clicking then clicking there, but it didn't work that way).

If you can find this:

distance.png

click the arrow on the bottom left, then the section view will persist until you go to the pulldown and select "End Section View".

Message 3 of 9
JDMather

Attach your file here if you cannot figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
fsdolphin
in reply to: dan_inv09

First of all thank you for your replies.

I tried selecting the errow on the bottom-left but as soon as I select the distance tool ( Tools > Measure > Distance ) the section view dialog disapears. The only way I was able to measure was basically leaving the dialog and clicking on the little sub-menu on the top-right corner and selecting the distance tool from there. 

This is what I did that worked.

InventorSectionView.png

The one thing I don't like about this process is that every time you measure something the view position reverts back to its original position (the surface you selected to create the view).

Is this how the Measure tool works in Inventor?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Message 5 of 9
dan_inv09

The input field is for offsetting the section view. You pick a plane and then have to input a distance from that plane. Some people with enough pull must have complained that it was too hard to find something to select to get the section view they wanted so this offset was thrown in (initially it took even more extra clicks). I usually can find a plane or surface that will show me what I want.

What you are doing with the "Measure" is meant for taking some distance from the model to define your offset for the section view. What you want is the arrow in the other corner - that completes the section view command so the view will stick until you go back to the "View" tab and click on "End Section View".

The real measuring tools are on the "Inspect" tab (in 2014 if that's the version of Inventor you are using, if not they used to be on the "Tools" tab).

Message 6 of 9
dan_inv09

I'm sorry, the arrow does not complete the section view, the arrow is for next step. You are (and I was) not doing a half section, that is for a quarter or three quarter section, and the next step is to select another plane.

The Check Mark is to complete the section view selection.distance2.png

And then the Inspect tab has Distance, Angle, etc.

Message 7 of 9
fsdolphin

Ok, first of all thanks a lot for following along with me on this issue. Found the solution.  After looking at your last procedure I noticed that I wasnt getting the check-mark button and I still don't see it but this got me worndering if I should right click and infact right clicking and hitting ok was the step I was missing. I still don't know why I'm not seeing the check-mark button but right clicking works.

This are my steps that worked.

1-  Select the section view type you want to make.

SectionViewOptions.jpg

2-  Select the surfaces / planes to create the section view, keep clicking the "Continue Button" until you are done with your section view.

ContinueButton.jpg

3- Right-click and hit ok

SectionOK.jpg

4- DONE.

Message 8 of 9
dan_inv09

In Inventor 2014 they "fixed" it. If you are using 2013 then you have the extra step of right clicking and selecting okay.

In earlier versions you clicked Section View, clicked on a plane or surface and were done.

I wish they would have made the offset a separate function so if you needed it you go further down the pulldown, but still had ones that worked the old way - just the other day I clicked half section, picked my plane and went to try and do something and, "Aarrghh!!!"

Message 9 of 9
fsdolphin

Cool, yes, I'm using Inventor 2013.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report