Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I ask about drawing?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
hyu36
862 Views, 11 Replies

May I ask about drawing?

Hi there,

I am trying to draw an inner trapezoid.

But I do not how to move forward now.

Please see the appended file first (in Inventor 2014).

(1) How can I draw an inner (smaller) trapezoid 5 mm apart from the outer body?

(2) If I use a workplane that is placed in the body, how can I figure out the drawing? 

Because the drawing line is buried in the body, I cannot see the drawing.

(3) After "drawing an inner trapezoid" -> "extrude" -> "cut" as in the file, how can I check its cross section?

Is the "inspect -> section" only possible way?

Thanks for your helps!

Have a nice day.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CAG_DRAFT
in reply to: hyu36

being a 2013 user I cant see your part but here goes...

1. it sounds like the 'shell' tool may be an easier option for you ?

2. you can turn the visibility of a body off. you can also 'Project Cut Edges' which may be more what you want.

3. if i need to really inspect a x-section I'll do it on a drawing, otherwise I'll use the 'view-> section' tools or if I'm just after a quick glance I'll just turn on hidden edges.

Message 3 of 12
yannicknielsen

To answer each of your question, I'll use numbers like you do

1: In the sketch environment, there is a button named "offset" - Using that will offset the contour and then you can put a dimension on that.
To get the outer contour, you can either use "project geometry", or click the little arrow next to that button, and choose "Project Cut Edges".
Project cut edges projects the edges if you are making a sketch in the middle of the part.
To do that, make a plane and offset it x mm/in from a face, and then start drawing on that.

2: in order to see a sketch you're making inside a solid, you can press f7 to section it to the plane. That will only work as long as you're currently in the sketch environment.

3: not sure I understand that question correctly, but you can press "View" almost in the top of the screen. When the ribbon has changed to view, you can find a big bar named "Appearance". In the right of that bar is a button named "Quarter Section View". Clicking the little arrow next to that allows you to change it to half section, three quarters, and finally, the whole part.

I've attached a file I made (without the correct dimensions, but to show what I've done.

Just to give you a little hint: Make sure your sketches are fully constrained, unless you are in a situation where it is necessary that they aren't. Makes less space for mistakes, and stuff you've missed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 4 of 12
CCarreiras

@hyu36 wrote:

(2) If I use a workplane that is placed in the body, how can I figure out the drawing? 

Because the drawing line is buried in the body, I cannot see the drawing.

(3) After "drawing an inner trapezoid" -> "extrude" -> "cut" as in the file, how can I check its cross section?

Is the "inspect -> section" only possible way?

2) Use the toll "Slice Graphics" to see what you are sketching. You can acssess this tool by:

Click f7 with the sketch is open

Button in he botton of the Sketch work space

Tab View-> Slice Graphics

3)You can use the tool "half section" in the tab view

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 12
hyu36

Wow!!!

You gave me what I wanted exactly!!

Thanks 😄

Have a nice day!

Message 6 of 12
hyu36
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for your help 😄
Message 7 of 12
hyu36
in reply to: yannicknielsen

Thanks for your help!! It is really great.

May I give 2 more questions?

(1) I can use offset now, but I cannot set the offset dimension. What can I do?

(2) After I use the "view", how can I come back? It remains cutted.

Message 8 of 12
yannicknielsen

You did try and place a dimension between the line you offset and the original line, right?
If you expect it to show up with a dialogue box and asks you to type in a dimension, that is not how it works.

As for your second question, if you are in the sketch environment and want it to stop cutting, simply press F7 again.
If you're using the "Section view" as I described, you click on the little arrow next to that button, and choose "End Section View"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 9 of 12
hyu36

Thanks you so much!!!

Message 10 of 12
PeterBose

I used AutoCAD for five years form 1995 to 2000 - for the last 14 years completed all my design work in SolidWorks or Catia V5.  Now I'm back to AutoCad LT and it isn't hard to remember the basics, but I seen some pretty insteresting features in AutoCad. 

Question:  I started working in electrical and P&ID, I have seen electrical and P&ID symbols that can change shape, like a on  / off switch symbol. When the block is highlighted there is a arrow that appears, I can select the arrow and a dialog box opens, this gives me the option to make the symbly to change, instead of the symbol being in the on position I can turn it off the symbol changes to a off position.  Does anyone know how this is created? 

Please forgive me if this is the wrong please to start a dialog with AutoCad users.  I haven't figured out all the bugs and how to start to dialog with the AutoCad group yet. 

Pete

Peter J Bose
Message 11 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: PeterBose

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD/ct-p/8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
PeterBose
in reply to: JDMather

AutoCad LT 2014

Peter J Bose

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report