Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matting and Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
TedSmith
391 Views, 5 Replies

Matting and Assembly

Good afternoon,

Been using the Inventor 8 for about 4 weeks now. Making an assembly. I have been having all kinds of problems with constraints and mating. Everytime I start a new part and try to mate it to my assembly and try to move the whole assembly it gives me fits. It says I have to edit or delete certain constraints, in order to proceed. I have used the red cross symbol and it doesn't fix the problem. I have actually deleted constraints entirely to continue. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problems and if there is a certain procedure I should follow? I appreciate the help.

Regards,

Ted Smith
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: TedSmith

First let me say it takes some time to get use to IV. That being said what do you mean by: "Everytime I start a new part and try to mate it to my assembly and try to move the whole assembly it gives me fits." What are you trying to move? You have some parts in an assembly I assume, then are adding a new part and trying to constrain it into place. What are you trying to move? If you can posts a small example assembly (and parts) to iCF it might help. -- Sean Dotson, PE Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert http://www.sdotson.com http://www.sdotson.com/forums/ Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions www.sdotson.com/faq.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "TedSmith" wrote in message news:2171304.1083086040264.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Good afternoon, > > Been using the Inventor 8 for about 4 weeks now. Making an assembly. I have been having all kinds of problems with constraints and mating. Everytime I start a new part and try to mate it to my assembly and try to move the whole assembly it gives me fits. It says I have to edit or delete certain constraints, in order to proceed. I have used the red cross symbol and it doesn't fix the problem. I have actually deleted constraints entirely to continue. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problems and if there is a certain procedure I should follow? I appreciate the help. > > Regards, > > Ted Smith
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Check for grounded parts, Ted. They appear in the browser with a sort of push pin in the little icon next to the name (who knows, it could be that simple, worth a try....). Gary "TedSmith" wrote in message news:2171304.1083086040264.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Good afternoon, > > Been using the Inventor 8 for about 4 weeks now. Making an assembly. I have been having all kinds of problems with constraints and mating. Everytime I start a new part and try to mate it to my assembly and try to move the whole assembly it gives me fits. It says I have to edit or delete certain constraints, in order to proceed. I have used the red cross symbol and it doesn't fix the problem. I have actually deleted constraints entirely to continue. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problems and if there is a certain procedure I should follow? I appreciate the help. > > Regards, > > Ted Smith
Message 4 of 6
conor_kelly

Ted,
If you are creating new parts in an assembly they will be adaptive to the features (in the assembly) used to create them. Check to see if the parts you need to move have 'adaptivity' turned on. Turn off 'adaptivity' and they should move freely.

Conor.
Message 5 of 6
TedSmith

Hello Sean,

Thanks for your quick response. I went to your website and was impressed. I specifically liked your tutorial page....tips for assemblies.....I am just finding out what you mean, in regards to mating. I guess I should look into the skeletal procedure, until I get better. I would make a part and then mate it with another part and then when I tried moving a group of parts maybe 20, I would get a constraint error message. If I used the red cross feature, it would make my drawing look very funky. I appreciate any advice you may have.

Ted
Message 6 of 6
TedSmith

Good afternoon Gary,

Thanks for your quick response. I am just finding out what you mean, in regards to mating. I checked for grounding, not the problem. I would make a part and then mate it with another part and then when I tried moving a group of parts maybe 20, I would get a constraint error message. If I used the red cross feature, it would make my drawing look very funky. I appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks,

Ted

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report