Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials in assemblies?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Rblaque
198 Views, 2 Replies

Materials in assemblies?

Im still using Inventor 2008 as a precursor to my question,

Ok, so what im trying to figure out is how to carry materials in subassemblies to the top level assembly.

For instance, i have a woodshelf model........i bring this shelf into a sub-assembly and assign it a maple material texture for that sub-assembly. I then bring that sub-assembly into another top level assembly but the woodshelf is the texture of the original woodshelf model, not the one i assigned to it in the sub-assembly.

I dont want to make the orginal part file of the woodshelf in 100 different textures and have a model for each. Just want to model one woodshelf, and assign it the texture within the sub assembly and have that carry over to the top level?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
cwhetten
in reply to: Rblaque

You might have to use a View Representation, and set it to associative in the top-level assembly.  However, I don't remember if these options were available in 2008.  Give it a try.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Rblaque

You need to change the material of the part (at the part level).  This can be overridden at the assembly level, that does not change the part material.  Each material has a color assigned to it.  In the assembly you leave the color at As Material.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report