Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material referenced in the sheet metal rule could not be located

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
2112 Views, 6 Replies

Material referenced in the sheet metal rule could not be located

I open my assembly and get this prompt."The material referenced in the sheet metal rule could not be located....."

2012-10-05_0741.jpg

There are several sheet metal parts in this assembly, so I am not really sure which part it is talking about.  Would be good if it listed the part number so I could correct it. So I am off to find the one that is causing the trouble.  I close my iam and open the first sheet metal part, no dialog box, so I assume its not this one. Close it, and open the next one.  No dialog box, so I open the next one..... I continue this until I have opened all the sheet metal parts in this assembly and NONE show me the dialog again.... huh!!  That was yesterday. 

I come in this morning, start Inventor and open one of the sheet metal parts from yesterday and immediately get the dialog again.  The problem is that this dialog will only appear ONCE per Inventor session.

Once I nailed down the offending part, I then tried to find the offending material. I dont really know what this dialog is telling me cause the materials for the rules are stored locally in the part.  Why is it even trying to reference a material in the library?

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 2.80ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, Update2
Vault 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
japike
in reply to: karthur1

I get that same message when an assembly is opened immediatley after starting Inventor. I close the assembly without saving and reopen it and everthing opens fine. Maybe the material library is slow to load.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 7
Rene-J

I had the same problem, it is you sheet metal style rules is corrupt.
I solved it this way, open a new sheet metal part, save all the sheet metal rules to this file.
use the software "Autodesk Inventor style library manager".
go to the sheet metal rule and delete the styles. Go back to the sheet metal file and save
sheetmetal rules to style library.

René J

Message 4 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: Rene-J

I was using SP1 (the one that was pulled). I uninstalled it and then reloaded Update2.  I don't see the message now when I open the same sheetmetal part.

Message 5 of 7
karthur1

It is weird because when the same part is closed/reopened in the SAME Inventor session, then the message will only appear the first time the part is opened.  However, if I close and restart Inventor, then open the part again.... then the message is back.

I have re-built my sheetmetal styles (see post #3) and checked them back into Vault.  When other users get the latest styles and open a sheetmetal part, they are getting this message even with the rebuilt styles.  My machine does not show the error, but theirs do.  We are all on the same Inventor SP and hotfix install.

I have several users that are having this issue (at least three).

Kirk

Message 6 of 7
karthur1

Finally found what the issue was.  The problem was that some systems had the necessary material libraries and some did not.  On the systems that was having this issue, the project file was pointing to a Materials library that was not available.  It showed as red in the project editor.

Once I copied this .adsklib file to the parth that was referenced in the project file... then everything worked correctly.

I guess some of the materials in the sheetmetal styles were being called from this missing materials library.... hence the error message.

FYI.... I did find a knowledge network article on this error message, but it did not help me. Maybe it will help others with the same issue.

Message 7 of 7
AndyWallace

I am having the same issue. Going to the management tab and updating the materials library for sheet metal does not seem to work. Restarting Inventor causes the issue to repeat.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report