Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material question

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
twr50
1117 Views, 13 Replies

material question

I need to asign concrete as a material to a file. Where can I find it as a material that I can use in Inventor?

Thanks
Thom
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: twr50

You just define a new material style and change its color/texture map to whatever you want.

you can search google images for "concrete" for a texture map if you want

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
JDMCD

thing i dont like is inventor has a whole ton of different materials to add to parts in the actual part space...however under properties, (physical tab) the list is very small. for example, brass and most other metals and parts are not listed.
Message 4 of 14
JDMather

Textures and material are different things. Textures (colors)can be added to materials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
JDMCD

ok that makes sence, but i think for future inventor programs you should have a wider selection of "materials" to choose from.
i have an assembly that contains an iron casting, a rubber roller, stainless steel spring, a few aluminum pecies as well as a lexan and bakelite insulators. a brass contact. if my boss wants a density and weight report how am i to do this without becoming a chemestry major too?
does this make sence?
Message 6 of 14
mcgyvr

JDMCD
You would simply add all the materials you need into your material styles
Create a new rubber material, create a new cast iron material and so on. Then in the ipt file for each part go into the properties and change it to the new/correct material.

style editor under materials..you can add whatever you want. You don't have to use just what inventor has.
Like they have ABS plastic..but there are thousands of types all with different properties.. So you find those properties and create a new material style.
www.matweb.com has a pretty decent list of physical/electrical/thermal properties for TONS of materials.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

As far as Concrete textures go, there are three delivered with Inventor.
They're the same ones delivered with 3ds max.
--
Bill Bogan | Product Designer - Inventor | Autodesk, Inc.

wrote in message news:5441392@discussion.autodesk.com...
JDMCD
You would simply add all the materials you need into your material styles
Create a new rubber material, create a new cast iron material and so on.
Then in the ipt file for each part go into the properties and change it to
the new/correct material.

style editor under materials..you can add whatever you want. You don't have
to use just what inventor has.
Like they have ABS plastic..but there are thousands of types all with
different properties.. So you find those properties and create a new
material style.
www.matweb.com has a pretty decent list of physical/electrical/thermal
properties for TONS of materials.
Message 8 of 14
CAD-One
in reply to: Anonymous

Has anyone see a video online on how to create a new material from scratch using a matweb data?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 9 of 14
blair
in reply to: CAD-One

There should be a couple floating around YouTube. I can't attached files to this forum at work but I have a good PDF that I will attached later this evening from my home office.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 14
mcgyvr

@CAD-One wrote:

Has anyone see a video online on how to create a new material from scratch using a matweb data?

Why do you think it matters where you get the data from?

The process is the same in Inventor no matter if you get it from matweb or the vendors datasheets or your grandpa george.. 

You just have to convert any data that isn't in the proper units to the units that Inventor is expecting.. 

Message 11 of 14
mrattray

Note that materials have changed completely since this thread started.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 14
CAD-One
in reply to: mcgyvr

We always refer to matweb as opposed to any other. Its just a reliable & popular source. May be downthe line when we can really need & afford, we can but their CAD/FEA export too.

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 13 of 14
blair

this document should help.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 14 of 14
CAD-One
in reply to: blair

Thanks for this great resource.
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report