Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Properties - Shear Modulus discrepency

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
samstreet101
2528 Views, 2 Replies

Material Properties - Shear Modulus discrepency

Whilst trying to replicate an example of a mild steel bar in torsion I came across a discrepency in the default value for the shear modulus/modulus of rigidity for Mild Steel in Inventor's material library.

It lists the shear modulus as 140250MPa or 140.25GPa, however, after looking at various sources including matweb and steel stockists, almost all of them settle on a shear modulus of around 77-80GPa for Mild Steel. I was looking at grade 1018 Cold Rolled which is I believe the most common grade.

I was wondering where exactly Autodesk gets its data for material properties and how it accounts for this discrepency (if indeed it is one)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
henderh
in reply to: samstreet101

Hi Sam,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  It is a known issue entered in our database as 1466253.

You are correct that if we calcuate if via G = E / 2(1+Nu) we get 85.94 GPa, where E is Young's Modulus (220 GPa) and Nu = Poisson's ratio (0.28).

If you are concerned about simulation results using the Shear Modulus value, we don't use it directly.  We use the E and Nu values.  Also, in the Stress Analysis report, we use the calculated G value.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing.

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 3
samstreet101
in reply to: henderh

Thanks very much for the timely reply Hugh,

That clears that up nicely and puts my mind as ease. I suspected it wasn't using the 140GPa value as the simulation results tended to agree (more or less) with what I calculated it to be anyway.

Thanks again,

Sam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report