Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Properties in Key Generator

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
WieEng
253 Views, 3 Replies

Material Properties in Key Generator

Hello, I've got a question about the key generating function in inventor.

I'm trying to design some keys in a shaft for a project in working on. In that design the steel alloy I'm using is important so that the design doesn't fail. The only problem is Inventor uses some unit called "Allowable Pressure" to perform this calculation. All the material data sheets I've looked at don't have a material property by that name. Is this a material property or perhaps something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: WieEng

Are you checking the materials box and customizing the material?

The allowable pressure is based off of the ultimate yield strength.  You would never want this to be equal to the UTS because of unknows. (its a safety factor).

Kirk

Message 3 of 4
WieEng
in reply to: karthur1

Yes, I'm trying to make custom materials which simulate carbon steel alloys to see if I can get the design to work.

As for the the ultimate yeild strength this is good news since this is a common material property. Do you have any idea what a good ratio would be to use? I was thinking between .8-.9

Thanks
Message 4 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: WieEng

Would be hard to say without knowing many other factors, but I would not go above ULTS *.3.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report