Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Color Why is a part with color still shiny Shaded with edges display

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
HenkdeB
1723 Views, 5 Replies

Material Color Why is a part with color still shiny Shaded with edges display

I apply a material to a part. When I select the visual style Shaded with edges I expect the view in pic 01. And when I select the visual style realistic I expect the view in pic 02. But when I do this in AI2013 it shows a shiny surface all the time.

Why not make it possible to add an extra asset to a material (see pic 03). 1 asset to set the shaded with edges display and another asset to set the realistic display. And also make it possible to show these displays on drawing and exports.

Tested on AI2013 with Update 2 installed.

Henk de B

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: HenkdeB

Hi Henk,

In fact, the visual style for appearance display for the same asset, if you want to add different appearance display in different visual style, it could be hard. but there is an workaround follow the steps below:

1. Create a new view in "Represtation -> View" , for example, named "View 1".

2. Assign different appearance asset for the components you want to display in Realistic visual style.

3. Please change the visual style by switch Views and change the visual style manually, such as "Shaded with edges" in "Master view" and "Realistic" in "View 1" .

Picture attached for your reference.

Shaded with edges in Master view:

Untitled.png

Realistic in View 1:

Untitled1.png

Xun
Message 3 of 6
HenkdeB

Nice workaround, but it would be much better when this was arranged inside the material.

We work a lot with stainless steel (most times polished) but only for a good picture for the customer I wanrt the polished surfaces. When I model/engineer, I want the shaded surfaces.

Now when I set the materials to be polished the shaded view shows me polished surfaces.

Henk

Message 4 of 6
Xun.Zhang

Hi Henk,

I've submit to our system for tracking the issue, thanks again for your report.

Xun
Message 5 of 6
HenkdeB

I checked this in AI2011 and there it is working like I expect.

2 appearances inside the material, 1 for the sahede view and another for the realistic viewing.

Henk

Message 6 of 6
Xun.Zhang

Hi Henk,

You are right. in the version 2011 and 2012, the rendering mode in code level for shaded/realistic visual style are totally different, but in version 2013, the rendering mode in code level for shaded/realistic is the same, that the exactlly reason.

By the way, I've address the issue to our system for tracking, thanks for your great feedback.

Xun

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report