Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material and colour?????

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
281 Views, 7 Replies

material and colour?????

I have a part that i assign a material to, mild steel self colour. i then add it to an assembly and use the drop down menu to decide the finish, eg galvanized or red oxide primer. how do i access this assemby finish or colour to add to my description???

i dont want to have a long list of materials that i have to choose from for each part, eg

CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH GALVANIZED
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH BLACK PAINT
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH RED OXIDE PRIMER
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH RED PLASTICOTE
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH YELLOW PLASTICOTE
etc etc for every material i use...

ideally what i want is the material and the finish as 2 seperate properties
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Materials and Colors [sic] are separate styles, but you tend to assign a colour to a material. But you can over-ride the colour it
you choose.

You'll find a rake of useful info at http://www.corusconstruction.com/en/reference/publications/

HTH
--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad
as what passes for ordinary living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs

wrote in message news:5177039@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have a part that i assign a material to, mild steel self colour. i then add it to an assembly and use the drop down menu to
decide the finish, eg galvanized or red oxide primer. how do i access this assemby finish or colour to add to my description???

i dont want to have a long list of materials that i have to choose from for each part, eg

CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH GALVANIZED
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH BLACK PAINT
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH RED OXIDE PRIMER
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH RED PLASTICOTE
CHS BSEN10219 S275JOH YELLOW PLASTICOTE
etc etc for every material i use...

ideally what i want is the material and the finish as 2 seperate properties
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

majority of our steelwork lands on the shop floor as self colour.

How do i get that overide colour as a property?

ive always been taught to build assemblies as you would build the real thing so it doesnt make sense to assign a material finish to a part before it is assembled. eg you wouldnt paint 2 parts and then try to weld them together
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

If you want to do the whole component. Format --> Styles Editor --> Color then select the colour you want.

If you want to do just surfaces, select the surfaces you want to change, RMB --> Properties and select the colour you want.

If you have a lot of surfaces you can use http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3453

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad

wrote in message news:5177074@discussion.autodesk.com...
majority of our steelwork lands on the shop floor as self colour.

How do i get that overide colour as a property?

ive always been taught to build assemblies as you would build the real thing so it doesnt make sense to assign a material finish to
a part before it is assembled. eg you wouldnt paint 2 parts and then try to weld them together
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

i dont think im explaining myself very well.

i set up a material called MS Self Colour which is the default material for new parts. (there are other materials for tube etc) On the parts list for the detailed view of that part it will read material, MS Self Colour.

now once i have all of my ms self coloured parts modelled and placed in an assembly all welded together i want to galvanize the assembly which i do by highlighting the whole lot and from the pull down menu choose galvanized (a colour i set up)

my question is how do i find that galvanized property to put into the assembly description automatically, (using yippee or not)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I'm not aware of any way of making Styles information easily accessible to the outside world or to Inv iProperties so that it can be
easily used by another app or by Inv in another environment.

This is a failing of Inv.

You might want to submit this as a Wish to http://www.augi.com/inventor/default.asp

--
Duncan

wrote in message news:5177113@discussion.autodesk.com...
i dont think im explaining myself very well.

i set up a material called MS Self Colour which is the default material for new parts. (there are other materials for tube etc) On
the parts list for the detailed view of that part it will read material, MS Self Colour.

now once i have all of my ms self coloured parts modelled and placed in an assembly all welded together i want to galvanize the
assembly which i do by highlighting the whole lot and from the pull down menu choose galvanized (a colour i set up)

my question is how do i find that galvanized property to put into the assembly description automatically, (using yippee or not)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

yippee guy said hed look into it once he has sorted yippee for r11... was hoping for a workaround in the meantime

thanks
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Have a look at http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blog/kevin/2006/04/inventor_11_tip_use_assembly_b.php and see if this helps.

--
Duncan

wrote in message news:5177176@discussion.autodesk.com...
yippee guy said hed look into it once he has sorted yippee for r11... was hoping for a workaround in the meantime

thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report