Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master view source file in an idw file

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Barry1Lau
785 Views, 4 Replies

Master view source file in an idw file

Is it possible to change the source file of the master view in a drawing?  I want to create a new drawing of a similar part without having to start from scratch redimensioning and notes on all of the views.  The new part only has a couple of features changed from the original, overall length and location of one hole. I could delete the master view and replace it but most of the notes and all of the dimensions are lost or disassociated.  MDT allowed this capability.  You saved the original part as the new part then changed the model.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: Barry1Lau

Image1.png

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
Barry1Lau
in reply to: rdyson

Thank you very much!  This was exactly what I was looking for and it will save me a ton of time.  I couldn't seem to find the solution in help.

Message 4 of 5
rclement
in reply to: rdyson

can i tag along in this conversation?

i have a part which is a casting and i dimension it. np

now i want to use the same part and take off .060 from a face. i create a new view say machined which i take off that .060. but it shows up in both idw files. even though in the casting idw i say master. and the machining drawing i use machined view. what am i missing here?

bob c

Message 5 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: rclement

Create a new part, Machined.ipt
Derive into it Casting.ipt
Remove material from Machined.ipt
In your idw, create a new base view of Machined.ipt

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report