Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Project file Switching

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Cadmanto
251 Views, 6 Replies

Master Project file Switching

We are having an issue where the master project file that we have created at my company keeps switching back to the default.ipj file randomly.  This is causing obviously our template paths as well as other path settings to not be right.

Our VAR told us that this randomly happens.  I am having a hard tim believing this.  Can someone either tell me why this is happening or that my VAR is correct in what they said?

Thanks

Scott.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: Cadmanto

In my experience, it is partially random (in that it doesn't happen every time), but when it does happen it always follows a crash.  I don't remember ever having seen it happen after a normal shutdown of Inventor, or during a session of Inventor.

I also haven't seen it much after changing employers a couple of years ago, which I find interesting because we use project files much more at my current company (at the old one, we always worked in the same project, except when the crash reverted us to Default without us realizing it).

I've sometimes wondered if there's something different about the setup (Inventor version, network configurations, user profiles, whatever) between the two companies that makes one more prone to the problem than the other, but I've never figured out what it actually could be.

Message 3 of 7

Hi Cadmanto,

Along the lines of what jtylerbc said, I've suspected this is related to the Application Options > General tab > Start Up Action setting that is getting flipped/reset due to a crash.  I typically leave that check box unchecked. 

It's just a guess, but maybe something to check.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 7

Curtis,

That's a possibility.  However, I would point out that at both companies, I typically used the same setting in that area (File Open).  I can see where having it set to "New From Template" could cause this, since it includes a setting for the project file.  However, I don't recall that option having ever changed itself after a crash.  In my experience, it was more like Inventor just forgot which project file it was using prior to the crash, and reverted to Default.

Cadmanto, what option do your users have selected there? 

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: Cadmanto

It is interesting that you mention the crashing.  While I am not crashing nearly as much as others in my department, I have not noticed this changing on my machine.  I will mention this to my co-workers for them to monitor.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 7

Thanks Curtis for the suggestion.  If this works this is the exact kind of thing I would be looking for.

I will look at this in the morning and let you know.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 7

Curtis,

I checked this setting and the machines in the office have this unchecked as well as mine.

Now you say you normally leave this unchecked.  Are you suggesting that with the machines that are having the issue of switching that maybe they should have this checked and pathed to the correct master project file?

Thanks

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report