Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass properties recalculated when use feature in the IAM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tuliobarata
488 Views, 2 Replies

Mass properties recalculated when use feature in the IAM

Good morning all,

I have a situation here that brought me some trouble when I realized it, and just see it now.. after some projects finalized.

To get net weight of my parts i have one template that uses the volume x density and to get the gross weight I use the real dimensions of the item (a rectangular plate  without any cutting, e.g.) and then calculate x density, this way i can get both weights, and how in the most of times I need the gross, I overwrite the MASS PROPERTIES of each part with my gross weight. It works fine because all the assemblies sum the MASS of each part (that is overwrited by the gross weight).

Now my problem:

In many cases when I need to use the same part many times with just a few of differents details, instead of copy the part and change it, I use the same part, and in the IAM I use one feature to make this part different (like a chamfer, small extrudes or even holes). But now I realized when I do this (feature in the IAM), it doesnt sum all the MASS properties of each individual part anymore ... it recalculate all the mass with the new IAM volume (with all the features)...so, in my BOM I got all the parts with the correct gross weight, but my total mass comes with the NET weight (and considering that I need the GROSS, i got the wrong mass).

This is driving me crazy, because I have a lot of parts with these features in the IAM, and all my mass are messed.

Is there a way to change the way that inventor overwrite this mass in the assemblies ? with Ilogic, or even some Inventor's option ?

Thanks again.

Barata.

IV 2013
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Cadmanto
in reply to: tuliobarata

Barata,

Not quite sure why you are creating the parts the way you are.  Meaning instead of doing an assembly feature to make the part different, why not just create an ipart and doing this feature at the part level.  It sounds like you are over complicating this.  We use iparts in assemblies all the time and it gives us the correct weight (mass) for our assemblies.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 3
tuliobarata
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the reply Cadmanto,

Actually I've tried to work with iPart untill 3 years ago, and when I first use iLogic I just gave up of them, in that time I had many trouble with my custom properties of my templates using iPart, to be honestly I made a good mess with that, so now I use it just for some specific cases (trauma maybe).

Well, I know that's "not correct" doing what I do in my assemblies, but I thought this way would be faster than anything (doing field services in theses parts with different small details), but I just thought that untill I see this big problem.

Well, for now I'm doing some revisions in the 3D model transfering all these details to a new part to not lose my template settings neither IDW stuffs, and in some more complicated cases I'm just editing all the mass manually on IAM and IDW (because the time left... almost an offence!).

Best regards,

Barata

IV 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report