Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mass error in derived part from multi-body part

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cadman777
1161 Views, 10 Replies

mass error in derived part from multi-body part

Please help:

IV2010suite ...

1. Create multi-body part

2. created an assembly filled with all parts from mbp above ("make components")

3. Most parts in new assembly are sheetmetal parts

4. Open new assembly and edit every part so "sheetmetal defaults" thickness matches the mbp part thickness by importing the parameter from original mbp file, and then flatten the part and set the material to steel

5. when viewing "physical" tab of the part's "iproperties", the mass shows strange error (see attached screen shot)

7. this problem occurs on ALL parts.

I have a complicated machine with 100's of parts in it, and ALL of the sheetmetal parts that derive from an mbp have broken mass (about 100 parts!).

This is unacceptable, and will ruin the work-flow of this job if not remedied immediately.

Anybody know:

1. what causes this mass error?

2. how to fix this mass error?

3. how to prevent it in the future?

Thanks ... Chris H

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rdyson
in reply to: cadman777

The "N/A" in the density window might be a clue!

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 11
stevec781
in reply to: rdyson

The density value will be a problem but also be aware that 2010 has a bug with the thicken command.  If you edit a thicken feature and change the thickness, the mass will not update.  It stays fixed at the mass for the initial thickness.

Message 4 of 11
cadman777

many of the sheetmetal parts are thickened surfaces (that's the only way I found to make them in an mbp)

ok, so the density value is a problem, which i already know and tried to figure out how to remedy

i can't figure out how to change that value

ok, I give up; tell me:
1. what causes the density value to be "N/A"?

2. how can I fix it to read correctly?

3. where is the 'bug fix' from autodesk for this and the thicken problems?

... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 11
cadman777

OK, i figured it out:

in order for the DENSITY/MASS to read correctly on a  part derived from a multi-body part, you have to make sure the button is checked in the derived part as shown in the attached pic.

The button is this:
SOLID BODY KEEP SEAMS BETWEEN PLANAR FACES.

Does anybody know how to make this setting happen DURING the creation of an assembly/parts from an mbp?

... chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 11
stevec781

At the time I reported the bug I was told it wasnt going to be fixed in 2010 so I had to switch to 2011, but maybe it has been done in the latest service pack so just create a part using thicken, get the mass, change the thickness and see if the mass updates.  if not then seeing as though you use this a lot I would be reverting to manual weight calculations.

I cant remember if the problem was at part level or assembly level or both so suggest you test both.

Message 7 of 11
cadman777
in reply to: stevec781

Steve,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I never knew it had that bug.

Didn't even thing to check, b/c I ASSUMED that Adsk did their job and made sure the math/geometry/properties would calc correctly.

I applied SP4 and the problem still exists.

I am NOT going to upgrade to 2011, nor to 2012, since it's got too many problems, and since it's a substantial system hog compared to what I have already.

This certainly is a DEFECT in the product that needs addressing.

It also appears to relate to the problem that instigated my original inquiry.

Thanks for giving me the head's-up on this.

Cheers ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 11
stevec781

If you need accurate mass props then 2011 is fine now.

As for 2012 there was a post here complaining about incorrect frame member lengths in BOM so I will be staying away from 2012 for a while yet.  (Given the bugs track record I am amazed at how many people upgrade at initial release) 

Message 9 of 11
cadman777

Steve,

I heard from many that 2011 is a 'new release" with MANY problems compared to 2010.

I won't upgrade for the reasons I stated.

The 2010 "bug" is more than a "bug", it's a defect in the program that needs to be fixed in a service release.

It's a defect b/c the program does not correctly report one of the most fundamental pieces of data/information in only one of it's modules, whereas it does and has been properly reporting it in all the others.

Plus, this data/information (= mass) is essential in estimating costs, determining shipping for compliance with government regulations, and for crane operators on-site during installation.

Again, this is a serious defect in the program that needs addressing in 2010 (not in some other version, b/c I paid for 2010, not some other version).

Cheers ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 10 of 11
stevec781

Yes output data should be 100% accurate but their track record isnt good.

2010 - this thicken issue

2011 Frame generator lengths incorrect - still http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Frame-Length-Bug-not-fixed-in-2011-SP2/td-p/3048914/...

2012 FG G_L didnt update when first released  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/2012-Frame-Generator-G-L-Parameter-won-t-update/m-p/...

2013  ??

I dont have an issue with teething problems in brand new features but find it unacceptable that they break existing functionality in new releases.  Quality control???

2013 needs to be purely a get everything working properly release.

Message 11 of 11
cadman777

Thanks Steve.

I can't afford/justify an upgrade for just one little thing that Adsk has an obligation to fix in 2010.

... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report