Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual animation of ratchet and pawl mechanisms in Assembly files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
alistairb
2203 Views, 5 Replies

Manual animation of ratchet and pawl mechanisms in Assembly files

I have experienced a problem when manually animating a model ratchet and pawl mechanism in an assembly file. One can get the pawl to track the ratchet wheel surface OK but there seems to be nothing to stop the ratchet wheel going in both directions, contrary to real life experience. I have used transitional constraints to link pawl surfaces with ratchet wheel surfaces but there seems to be no drive constraint which will operate in this circumstance. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: alistairb

Can't you apply an Angle Constraint that will drive the ratchet/pawl mechanism? "alistairb" wrote in message news:30868983.1082978471386.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have experienced a problem when manually animating a model ratchet and pawl mechanism in an assembly file. One can get the pawl to track the ratchet wheel surface OK but there seems to be nothing to stop the ratchet wheel going in both directions, contrary to real life experience. I have used transitional constraints to link pawl surfaces with ratchet wheel surfaces but there seems to be no drive constraint which will operate in this circumstance. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: alistairb

R8 has a tool known as a contact solver that would allow you to do this. R7 does not have any real-world physics so with some very complicated formulas it will not be possible. -- Sean Dotson, PE Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert http://www.sdotson.com http://www.sdotson.com/forums/ Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions www.sdotson.com/faq.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "alistairb" wrote in message news:30868983.1082978471386.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have experienced a problem when manually animating a model ratchet and pawl mechanism in an assembly file. One can get the pawl to track the ratchet wheel surface OK but there seems to be nothing to stop the ratchet wheel going in both directions, contrary to real life experience. I have used transitional constraints to link pawl surfaces with ratchet wheel surfaces but there seems to be no drive constraint which will operate in this circumstance. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Teun, have you modeled ratchets before?
Could I ask you about a thing? I don't know how to send you a message here....
Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You have replied to a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry old thread here.

Just in the past week someone attached a working ratchet and pawl assembly (works in Dynamic Simulation environment).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Would you be nice and post the link to the thread you mentioned? About a working ratchet?

Thanks in advance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report