Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making frame -frame generator or solid modelling

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lougalea
300 Views, 5 Replies

making frame -frame generator or solid modelling

I am needing to make a frame for a machine as for demonstration purposes...as this is for presentation would you still recommend using the Frame Generator or would Solid Modelling tools be just as good

Thanks

Lou

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: lougalea

Well, I usually say Frame Generator, but it does have a learning curve to it.  How much time do you have?  FG will give you much more accurate frames in terms of end conditions, coping and trimming etc. I would never go back to building frames with standard assembly methods.

Message 3 of 6
blair

It would depend on what types of items are going to make up the frame. If the majority of the F-G can be done with CC items, then the F-G would be my first choice.

If I had to build a frame from built-up beams (vary in depth and width of each beam) then just use the solid modeling.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: blair

Years back the guys here built their frames from i-features.  They had a library of steel profiles, and another for the notch cuts.  What a pain.  Fortunately I came in just as AD released the frame generator!

Message 5 of 6
blair
in reply to: cbenner

Before that, Drafting machines, they didn't require: Saving, Updates, Hot-Fixes, Re-booting or Tech Support, or EE's.  Smiley LOL

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Frame generator. It will take you about 10 minutes to learn to use it, and another lifetime to master :), but seriously, it's the only way to go, beats stick building hands down.

The basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvkY6afCWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNIkbWXX1N8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report