Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Files Read Only For Conceptual Designs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MechMachineMan
254 Views, 4 Replies

Making Files Read Only For Conceptual Designs

Has anybody heard of or experimented with making various Files read only during the modelling of concepts?

The case I would be using this in is for tweaking old concepts and creating various, but still wanting to keep all of the old models intact so that you can access any simply by clicking an old file.

The read only thing seems like it would work good when using the "Save And Replace" for going through and creating different versions of parts and act as a way to prevent accidental part modification for old concepts.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks! 

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: MechMachineMan

Are you using Vault by any chance?  From what you are describing I think Vault would accomplish this.  Only check out what you want to update (those files would be read/write) while the other files would only come out as read only. Not to mention Vault would keep past revisions/changes in tack.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
MechMachineMan
in reply to: Cadmanto

I'm talking outside of vault; we don't use it because we have heard of companies who have used it, and when they tried to get away from it, it messed up their models.

So this process would work then?

--------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the 'Accept as Solution' or 'Like' button below.

Justin K
Inventor 2018.2.3, Build 227 | Excel 2013+ VBA
ERP/CAD Communication | Custom Scripting
Machine Design | Process Optimization

iLogic/Inventor API: Autodesk Online Help | API Shortcut In Google Chrome | iLogic API Documentation
Vb.Net/VBA Programming: MSDN | Stackoverflow | Excel Object Model
Inventor API/VBA/Vb.Net Learning Resources: Forum Thread

Sample Solutions:Debugging in iLogic ( and Batch PDF Export Sample ) | API HasSaveCopyAs Issues |
BOM Export & Column Reorder | Reorient Skewed Part | Add Internal Profile Dogbones |
Run iLogic From VBA | Batch File Renaming| Continuous Pick/Rename Objects

Local Help: %PUBLIC%\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2018\Local Help

Ideas: Dockable/Customizable Property Browser | Section Line API/Thread Feature in Assembly/PartsList API Static Cells | Fourth BOM Type
Message 4 of 5
blair

Create a new Project File and set this directory that the parts reside in as a Library. By default Library folders are "Read-Only" within Inventor.

When we do custom work, we create a new Project File for that Customer and use all our existing folders as Libraries. This allows us to use existing components but they are Read-Only. The only files that can be edited are in the current Work-Directory for the project.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto

I have used Vault since I started using Inventor.  While I get what you are saying about what you have heard, there are always pros and cons to everything.  Until you actually try it yourself, you will never know.  What I can tell you is (if I am understanding what you are saying), when you are creating/designing and using Vault, each time you check a file in it creates a new version.  If you want to go back to an older version say because where the current one is didn't work, you can check out the older one and get right back to that point and start again or recreate from there.  Also, if you open files up out of the Vault and don't check them out, they come out as read only files.

To the point you made of users that have used the Vault then got rid of it and had issues.  I can see that to a point.  What happens when you use Vault is when you check a file out, it makes a copy to your local working folder.  Even when you check it back in and relinquish ownership, the file still remains on your local, but in a read only state.  If those files are left there and Vault is removed, it is as simple as RCing on the file(s) and unchecking the "Read Only" box under properties.  Then the file becomes usable again in Inventor.

Depending on which package you have, it you have the suite package, then you at least have Vault Basic to try out.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck in what you are trying to do.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report