Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making face with having wireframe

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
morteza
350 Views, 6 Replies

Making face with having wireframe

Hi guys,

I appreciate to receive your comments for the following questions:
1) How a surface or face can be created in inventor by having wireframe of a 2D or 3D model.
2) For a 3D model, how the outer surface (face) of model can be stored in separate file? (I need just to outer surface for CFD modeling and don't need to any thickness and inner face of model.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards
Morteza
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: morteza

use the boundry patch tool to create your surfaces, some 3d surfaces may have to be made with lofts

derive a new part from you existing part, choosing which surfaces you want to include.

bish bosh bang there you go
Message 3 of 7
morteza

How I can make a hole on the face created by this way, make a hole command says that the selected component has no volume.

thanks
Message 4 of 7
bkmckenzie

I see this was asked 6 years ago, and no decent response.  Is it just me, or is the help here ridiculously poor?

I am having the same problem.  I can't even create a boundary patch.  Seems like importing .stl/.stp files shouldn't be a new/difficult thing for autodesk products.

Message 5 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: bkmckenzie

@bkmckenzie wrote:

I see this was asked 6 years ago, and no decent response.  Is it just me, or is the help here ridiculously poor?

How nuch training have you had.  The original question is very basic.

This is a free user-to-user peer support forum, not Autodesk support - where is your VAR?

How can anyone help you when you haven't posted your file here that demonstrates your problem?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
bkmckenzie
in reply to: JDMather

Exactly, the original question is very basic, and I have seen it asked about 10 different times/places, and the responses are always the same.  Send me your file and I will fix it for you.  Really?  It's so complicated no one can explain how to do it so that 6 years later, we have to ask the same question?

I can't share the file, or I gladly would.  But, I suspect any STL file will have the problem and same solution no?

You are right, I don't have much experience with Inventor, and honestly, should I have to?  I suspect I won't at this point.  This tool is amazing at what it can do, but abysmal in resources and examples.  Having worked in software for many years, and knowing autocad has been around forever, I am actually quite shocked. 

Anyway, didn't come on here to bitch, just was hoping to find someone saying something like "oh yeah, EVERYBODY has had to deal with STL files at some point so there is an OBVIOUS and easy way to do it, and of course there are NUMEROUS examples at xyz location".  But sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Not your fault though, so sorry I said the help here is poor, I should have said the help from Autodesk in general is about as bad as I have ever seen.  I shouldn't have lumped this group of people trying to help, in with that.  Rather, really this is the best autodesk can offer?  Really really poor.

I am trying to evaluate this software actually, and thanking my lucky stars I haven't dropped coin on this yet.  Hoping, upon hope that SolidWorks is better.  I mean, really the engineers did there job, most of what I have needed I could figure out, so it is more intuitive than I expected.  But man, jump into something like this and the intuitiveness is long gone and so is any reasonable write up or help that I can find.  Been googling for hours on this.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: bkmckenzie

@bkmckenzie wrote:

I am trying to evaluate this software actually, ...  Hoping, upon hope that SolidWorks is better.  ..... Been googling for hours on this.

First you should do some research on what stl files actually are compared to solid modelers like Inventor, SolidWorks and Creo.

stl files are roughly faceted surfaces, generally of little use in an MCAD engineering program for anything other than reference.  SolidWorks will knit some very very simple stl files - but without an example from you it is impossible to say if it will do what you want, my guess would no.

Over the years it has been my experience when trying to help someone who does not provide an example of their work a game of 20-questions ensues where they keep changing the parameters of their real problem description that could have been  clearly defined with a simple picture....

.....and if a picture is worth a thousand words typed here, a geometry file is worth...  .... we spend all of this time learning to use geometry tools like Inventor to communicate design intent, let's communicate with geometry.

I am aware of (but not experienced) a software program that will handle stl files (along with a special imput tool, but before I spend any more time on this question I would need a full disclosure of the problem statement and an idea of your available resources (the software and training is not cheap).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report