Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making bent tubes using Bend Part.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gkawkes
7165 Views, 7 Replies

Making bent tubes using Bend Part.

Is there a way to adjust the stretch in a part when using Bend Part. Similar to a bend table in sheetmetal. I'm creating a bent hydraulic tube from a straight tube. The finished part comes up a little short in total length. See attached.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: gkawkes

I would not use Bend Part for something like that (Bend Part should be very very rarely used, only when no other way).

I create 2D sketches to control a 3D sketch Sweep path.  All of your dimensions (except bend radius) in the 2d sketches.  The part is designed "as bent" so you know it is right without any calculations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
gkawkes
in reply to: JDMather

I'm assuming the answer is No. That there is no Bend Table type option for Bend Part. I'm only doing it this way to check my calculations, not to use it for the final part.

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

Someone years ago showed a work-around modeling as square profile sheet metal (solid, not tube) with fillets making it appear round.  Might be able to adjust bend allowance to give useful results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
BMiller63

For what it's worth: in my experince with having parts such as this rolled/formed, generally these things are done by adding length (say 6 inches or so for each end) to the finished length and then cutting to length once rolled. You might consider following the "model it the way it's made" mantra here and add ample length to the straight shape, and then use the move face tool (or extrude cut, or thicken cut) to arrive at the finished size once bent.

Just a thought.

Message 6 of 8
Dennis_Jeffrey

Actually you can simulate the bend allowance by positioning the bend line into the part.  Let's assume that to want to utilize a K factor like .44. That would equate to positioning the bend line sketch 44% below the top of the tube face.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 8
cra4706
in reply to: JDMather

Why should the bend part feature be used rarely?  Is there any way to flatten/straighten the tube after generating it using a series of 2D sketches combined with a 3D sketch? 

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
harco

If the tube has simple bends on one plane you can include the bend sketch on your drawing to workaround a flat pattern.

You will need to hide the bent edges of the model on the drawing and show the projected edges of the bend sketch.

You will also need to draw over the projected edges on the model bend sketch to allow them to show on the drawing.

The more features and bends in different planes then it gets tricky/impossible.

Another way is to have one part as flat/unbent and a second part which is derived from the first then bent, this maybe a simpler option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report