Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a STEP file from a max file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
355 Views, 3 Replies

Making a STEP file from a max file

Hello,

For a client we maked a model in 3dsmax. But now they have to produce it in the factory. They need a STEP file. I added the file in Inventor. But its not a solid 3d body. But I have never worked with this program. Can someone look at the file and help me out? Or can someone make the STEP file?

If you have questions? Please send me an e-mail randy.1986 at hotmail.com 

http://droomhuis-bouwen.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/hat_stl.zip you can download de zip here

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

But I have never worked with this program.

I estimate that it would take about 3-yrs of experience with Inventor to model this in Inventor.

There is no easy button solution.

You might check out the Beta for Fusion 360 (search Google), but again, no easy button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Yes thats true, but it don't has to be modelled again, only ready to convert it to a STEP-file. That the factory can read it and produce it. Now it has only have surfaces and not a 3d solid. Is there a way to do this? 

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Right click on the MeshFeature1 node in the browser and select Show Mesh Edges.

This is thousands upon thousands of triangular planer surfaces (facets).

There is no indication of thickeness (whoever modeled this only modeled one side) that I can see.

Even if converted it would not be very aesthetically pleasing if manufactured because of the faceted faces rather than smooth geometry.

It will need to be remodeled.

I think there might be some smoothing software out there, I think it is very very expensive and not sure of the results.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report