Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a section of a detail view of a section with limited depth

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
KenanP
525 Views, 3 Replies

Making a section of a detail view of a section with limited depth

Part1.png

The image illustrates my problem.

I've made two cubes (one is a rectangular parallelpiped) with different dimensions.

I make a section A-A through the small cube with a section depth of 1mm, so that it only shows the section through the small cube.

Then I make a detail B of section A-A.

When I create section C-C (full depth) through detail B, it only shows depth of 1mm, but I'd like it to show full depth (as shown in bottom right corner).

This is of course a very simplified example and may not make sense in this application, but when making drawings of complicated structures, it'd be very helpful. We end up creating additional views outside the border (that we later suppress) to get C-C the way we'd like it.

Is there some way to ignore the section depth of A-A when making C-C?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: KenanP

I think the short answer is: no.

Since Section C-C is based off of Section A-A, it will follow the depth dimensions you specified in A-A.  It's a parent-child thing.

What you could do is place another view off the sheet somewhere and cut your section C-C from that with a full depth setting, and place C-C ON the sheet.  You would not see the section cut plane in any view, however, since the parent view would be off the sheet.  Just a thought.

Message 3 of 4
KenanP
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for the reply.

But the thing is that the section view in the bottom right corner is based directly on A-A (I just unchecked "show definitionin base view") but it still displays the full depth.

The only difference with C-C in the upper right corner is that there was a detail view B between A-A and C-C.

So:

Base view > Section A-A with limited depth > Section C-C : shows full depth, as I want it (bottom right corner)

Base view > Section A-A with limited depth > Detail B > Section C-C : shows limited depth, as I don't want it (top right corner)

I see no logical reason why the Detail View should make a difference.

We have used workarounds similar to the one you suggested, but it makes it more cluttered than I wish it would be.

Message 4 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: KenanP

I think that's interesting.  Sounds like the detail view is what's driving here.  Seems a bit odd, maybe unintended behavior in the sense that no one thought it would behave that way?  You might want to post this in the idea station as an enhancement request (requesting that the intermediate detail view NOT drive the depth of the subsequent section view).  you might get some feedback from AD folks that way.

If you do, post back on this forum that you have a new idea, and ask for kudos on it.  The more kudos itgets, the more attention it gets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report