Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make rope curl and swing

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2438 Views, 10 Replies

Make rope curl and swing

Hello everyone

Im working on this assembly where I need to animate this rope on this handle to swing and curl, I can animate the swing no problem but I need the rope to curl up as it sways each way, right now the rope swings and stays straight and its no good for what I need, should I use 3ds max or fusion .... i really havent a clue. 

I attached a demo of the swing alone just so you can see the swing and see how theres no rope curl to it.

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

I think that the trick here is to use adaptive sketches. Check out the 'Scissors' model in the sample files.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

Im going to check that out right now and I will let you know how it goes for me , Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

I read through "adaptive geometry" on :

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0308-Parts308/0353-Part_fea353/0...

And I opened the assembly model "scissors" and played around to understand whats going on.

I see what your saying and I think I understand it as well. But in the scissor model the scissor spring is adapting to the scissors handles that are closing and opening around the scissor sping. So the scissor spring does adapt in the model and the same idea could be applied on my "rope"

From what I understand this wont work for my rope though. In the scissor model the scissor spring is adapting to the scissor handle that is opening and closing, the spring only adapts because something is forcing it to. My rope has no force for it to be made to adapt, the rope only hangs there in free space.

Thank you for the Idea though I did learn something, but still no solution to my problem

Message 5 of 11
PaulMunford

Sorry that didn't work out for you. You might be able to do something in the simulation environment - but I have no clue where to start with that! If you find out, please tell me!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

@PaulMunford wrote:

Sorry that didn't work out for you. You might be able to do something in the simulation environment - but I have no clue where to start with that! If you find out, please tell me!

Thanks Anyway for taking the time to reply I still learned something from your idea.

I did however find a possible way to create a "curl" in the rope as it swings back an forth. Im new to Autodesk Inventor but today i found the "bend feature" and i was able to curl my rope in any angle of degress along a certain length. So I posted on here and it is possible to animate the bend feature, but I cant find the bend parameters in Inventor studio.. I think the bend feature will create my curl just need to find the bend parameters in Inventor Studio. Ill post again when and If i find this possible.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Animate-a-Bend-using-Inventor-Studio/td-p/3090676

Above is the link for the post i created to Animate a Bend in Inventor, it worked out great once you set the parameters right, I attached a video of the rope bending which will be my animated curl. The video is just an example of how it worked I rendered it quickly so you could see. Hope this helps you, it made my day thats for sure!

Message 8 of 11
PaulMunford

Excellent job Donny! I'm glad that you worked that out 🙂 and well done to you for taking the time to post your answer back up on the Forum. Good show all round that man!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

@PaulMunford wrote:

Excellent job Donny! I'm glad that you worked that out 🙂 and well done to you for taking the time to post your answer back up on the Forum. Good show all round that man!

Thank You very much !  I am glad it worked out as well my animation is coming along nicely now. I was happy to post back and pass along the information so others can benefit as I did. Thanks again!

Message 10 of 11
elise_moss

Wow!  I am so impressed with you!

Elise Moss

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I took all the information I learned through this post and another and was able to create a nice rope swing and curl effect, its still in need of a lot of work though. The curl worked out great with the "bend" feature and exporting the feature in the fx parameter and animating it in inventor through enabling the bend in the favorite parameters while inside inventor studio.The bend feature has to be added to the .ipt file that makes the rope itself. There is one problem with the bend feature during animation because bends seem to only work from 1-90 degrees, you can't make a bend 0.0 degrees like you could with the angle constraint. I had to make another bend feature that went 1-90 the other direction. Thats where the problem comes from, you can have both bend features enabled and both UN-suppressed in the .ipt file, the problem is making both bends work together and look like a flawless sway. For the swing I animated an angle constraint on the ring that holds the rope to the shaft. It helps make everything flow together and looks more like, the rope on a ring on a shaft (for lack of better wording.)\

In the first video "unfinished rope swing" the bend feature is animated from 1-90 over 1/2 a second and then 1-90 over 1/2 a second the other way, here's the problem, you can see the pause in the middle where one bend has to stop and the other bend has to start, it does not look good.

In the second "unfinished rope swing 2" video the same degrees for the bend, 1-90 one way and then 1-90 the other way but each over 1/4 of a second, which really ended up as .3 of a second on the animator timeline. I think the only problem here is now the rope swings to fast.

I think the solution here would be to find a common ground on the using the angle constraint to animate a swing so that when the first bend feature ends the angle is still moving , maybe it will clear up the dead space in between the bend features. Im going to keep working on it using Inventor.

I don't know anything about 3ds Max but would this be much easier using that instead of Inventor studio? Im gonna look into that to.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report