Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make part from split

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
szymon86
6632 Views, 8 Replies

Make part from split

See what happens if i make a part after a split has taken place. This thing is driving me crazy. Misplaced part? How it's possible? How to correct it, or how to prevent it from happening?

Thanks in advance.

Federica

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LT.Rusty
in reply to: szymon86

Attach your part, and we'll take a look at it. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
szymon86
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
LT.Rusty

The problem is the orientation of the original part. 

If you look at tasti.ipt, you'll notice that when you hit the home button on the view cube, you're set with the Z axis as up and the hole through the part is oriented along the Y axis.  When you use Make Part, the new part that's created is oriented in the same fashion, but because the Home View hasn't been modified, the orientation looks a little strange.

Basically, the program is working exactly the way it's supposed to. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
szymon86

The y anz axes switch when when i click make part. Can i solve it with a mirror?

How can i make it stand where i need it? Something like an in place cut.

Message 6 of 9
LT.Rusty

No, a mirror isn't going to fix it.

The axes haven't changed at all, only the relationship between the axes and the view cube's "home"
 orientation has changed between your original part and your derived part.  The UCS that you're seeing in your assembly is that of the assembly, not the part.

assembly.JPG

made part.JPGoriginal.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
szymon86

So, there's no way to solve this kind of problems?

Message 8 of 9
LT.Rusty

There's a few solutions.

1.  Make sure you model all your parts with the same "up" orientation.  In this case if you wanted the flange-thingy to face "up" and the axis of the hole to be on the Z-axis, it would have been easiest to model it in that orientation in the first place.

2. In the derived part, use MOVE BODY to force the alignment you want.

3.  In the assembly, just use constraints to put the part where you want it to go.  That's probably the easiest course for you to take at this stage, unless you feel like re-modeling the part. 

I use #3 constantly, because for some reason my boss uses Z as "up" where everyone else uses "Y."  I have to re-align his parts constantly for insertion in my assemblies.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
szymon86

Really thanks Rusty for helping me getting out of this trouble. I used the option number 3 and i well assembled the parts together.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report