Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
brandonherrer14
Message 1 of 9 (18,642 Views)

Make Dimensions Font Bigger

18642 Views, 8 Replies
06-07-2012 08:36 AM

Really quick question,

I am doing a drawing on inventor and everything is going great except for the fact that the dimensions are hard to read because they are so small. Is there any way to make the font for the dimensions bigger.

snipping.PNG

Thank You

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 2 of 9 (18,637 Views)

Re: Make Dimensions Font Bigger

06-07-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: brandonherrer14

Sure.. Edit the dimension style or create a new one.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_LT/enu/2013/Help/0305-Autodesk305/0334-Fundamen334/0400-Styles...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 9 (18,632 Views)

06-07-2012 08:58 AM in reply to: brandonherrer14

...but something doesn't look right.  You dimesion text should not be that small.
What size sheet is that.  Has anyone fooled with your dimension styles?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
brandonherrer14
Message 4 of 9 (18,624 Views)

06-07-2012 09:26 AM in reply to: JDMather

No nobody has fooled with my dimension styles as far as I know. How do i fix the problem?

Thank You,

Brandon Herrera

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 5 of 9 (18,618 Views)

06-07-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: brandonherrer14

You're drawing a 3/4" screw on a C size sheet...

If you use a normal sheet size, I would use A or 8.5x11 for that, it will look closer to what you would expect.

But I have to ask, why are you making a 6 view drawing of a screw?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

*Expert Elite*
mcgyvr
Message 6 of 9 (18,617 Views)

06-07-2012 09:37 AM in reply to: brandonherrer14

Looks like a "C" size sheet.. So I'd expect the text to be that small.

You REALLY need to get familiar with how the style/standard editor in Inventor works.. Its VERY important that you set it up for your needs now..It should be covered in day 1 of training IMO even before you start modeling parts.

Its always best (in my opinion) to edit styles/standards through your template files.

So open your drawing template file and go to the style/standard editor..Find the default dimension style and change the text size. Then save to style library (your project file needs to have use style library to read-write (assuming you are the cad manager or only user and should have rights to modify that stuff of course)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 Product Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 4820k processor (OC'd to 4.4Ghz), Nvidia GTX 770, 16G RAM

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 7 of 9 (18,613 Views)

06-07-2012 09:41 AM in reply to: brandonherrer14

Hi brandonherrer14, 

You could change the size of the Text Style used in the Dimension Style, but I think the issue is really that you're using a C sized sheet  (17in x22in) to detail this small part. That is a very large sheet of paper, and isn't typical for the type of part you're working with. 

This looks like a school project, so I think getting into style editing is a bit more involved that what you're really after here.

Try this first:

• In the browser right-click on the Sheet node (likely Sheet:1) and choose Edit Sheet.
  • Set the Size drop down to use size A (8.5 in X 11in.)

Your title block will now be too large.

• So, go to the browser again and locate the Titleblock node under the Sheet node.
  • Right-click it and choose Delete.

You've deleted the instance of the title block, but the definition still resides in the drawing under the Drawing Resources folder.

• So, go to the browser once again and locate the Drawing Resources folder node and expand it.
  • Expand the Titleblock node and look for a titleblock definition called ANSI A
  • Right-click on it and choose Insert.

You might need to edit your views now and scale them down to make things fit.

If this doesn't help, post your drawing file and someone can have a look.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Active Contributor
brandonherrer14
Message 8 of 9 (18,587 Views)

06-07-2012 01:18 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Okay excellent it worked.

But now, when i change the paper to A and the title block back to normal, the drawings i had are know bigger than the page. How can i scale it back to normal so i dont have to delete it and redo the sketches because I made a lot of drawings and it would take to much time to redo them.

inventor snipping 2.JPG

Thank You

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 9 of 9 (18,584 Views)

06-07-2012 01:28 PM in reply to: brandonherrer14

Hi brandonherrer14,

Right-click on your Base View (be sure you're in the view and not on an object line, etc.) and choose Edit View, then set the Scale to a size that fits (you can experiment with different values 1 or 0.5 or 0.25, etc).

Most of the other views are likely taking their scale from the base view, so they should update also. You might have to drag them into place though. For any views that don't scale off of the base view (such as the isometric view), just set their scale the same way individually.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!