Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Dimensions Font Bigger

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
brandonherrer14
67106 Views, 19 Replies

Make Dimensions Font Bigger

Really quick question,

I am doing a drawing on inventor and everything is going great except for the fact that the dimensions are hard to read because they are so small. Is there any way to make the font for the dimensions bigger.

snipping.PNG

Thank You

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: brandonherrer14

Sure.. Edit the dimension style or create a new one.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_LT/enu/2013/Help/0305-Autodesk305/0334-Fundamen334/0400-Styles...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 20
JDMather

...but something doesn't look right.  You dimesion text should not be that small.
What size sheet is that.  Has anyone fooled with your dimension styles?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 20
brandonherrer14
in reply to: JDMather

No nobody has fooled with my dimension styles as far as I know. How do i fix the problem?

Thank You,

Brandon Herrera

Message 5 of 20
mrattray

You're drawing a 3/4" screw on a C size sheet...

If you use a normal sheet size, I would use A or 8.5x11 for that, it will look closer to what you would expect.

But I have to ask, why are you making a 6 view drawing of a screw?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 20
mcgyvr

Looks like a "C" size sheet.. So I'd expect the text to be that small.

You REALLY need to get familiar with how the style/standard editor in Inventor works.. Its VERY important that you set it up for your needs now..It should be covered in day 1 of training IMO even before you start modeling parts.

Its always best (in my opinion) to edit styles/standards through your template files.

So open your drawing template file and go to the style/standard editor..Find the default dimension style and change the text size. Then save to style library (your project file needs to have use style library to read-write (assuming you are the cad manager or only user and should have rights to modify that stuff of course)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 7 of 20

Hi brandonherrer14, 

You could change the size of the Text Style used in the Dimension Style, but I think the issue is really that you're using a C sized sheet  (17in x22in) to detail this small part. That is a very large sheet of paper, and isn't typical for the type of part you're working with. 

This looks like a school project, so I think getting into style editing is a bit more involved that what you're really after here.

Try this first:

• In the browser right-click on the Sheet node (likely Sheet:1) and choose Edit Sheet.
  • Set the Size drop down to use size A (8.5 in X 11in.)

Your title block will now be too large.

• So, go to the browser again and locate the Titleblock node under the Sheet node.
  • Right-click it and choose Delete.

You've deleted the instance of the title block, but the definition still resides in the drawing under the Drawing Resources folder.

• So, go to the browser once again and locate the Drawing Resources folder node and expand it.
  • Expand the Titleblock node and look for a titleblock definition called ANSI A
  • Right-click on it and choose Insert.

You might need to edit your views now and scale them down to make things fit.

If this doesn't help, post your drawing file and someone can have a look.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 20

Okay excellent it worked.

But now, when i change the paper to A and the title block back to normal, the drawings i had are know bigger than the page. How can i scale it back to normal so i dont have to delete it and redo the sketches because I made a lot of drawings and it would take to much time to redo them.

inventor snipping 2.JPG

Thank You

Message 9 of 20

Hi brandonherrer14,

Right-click on your Base View (be sure you're in the view and not on an object line, etc.) and choose Edit View, then set the Scale to a size that fits (you can experiment with different values 1 or 0.5 or 0.25, etc).

Most of the other views are likely taking their scale from the base view, so they should update also. You might have to drag them into place though. For any views that don't scale off of the base view (such as the isometric view), just set their scale the same way individually.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 10 of 20

Don't feel bad Brandon. For some reason, Autodesk decided to make editting dimension styles very unintuitive. I have large-sized parts that I model and would like to save on sheet that accomodates a 1:1 scale. I would also like to be able to enlarge the dimension size some, in case I save it as a PDF and someone wants to print it on a 8.5" x 11". Unfortunately, Inventor makes this WAY more complicated than it should be. When you ask for help, instead of explaining how to change the size, they challange why you would choose one paper size over another. News flash: not everyone has access to a giant plotter for printing E-sized prints. Hopefully, they will decide to fix this some day.

Message 11 of 20
mcgyvr
in reply to: rjstrock

@rjstrock wrote:

Don't feel bad Brandon. For some reason, Autodesk decided to make editting dimension styles very unintuitive. I have large-sized parts that I model and would like to save on sheet that accomodates a 1:1 scale. I would also like to be able to enlarge the dimension size some, in case I save it as a PDF and someone wants to print it on a 8.5" x 11". Unfortunately, Inventor makes this WAY more complicated than it should be. When you ask for help, instead of explaining how to change the size, they challange why you would choose one paper size over another. News flash: not everyone has access to a giant plotter for printing E-sized prints. Hopefully, they will decide to fix this some day.

@rjstrock

You responded to a 3+ year old post...

There questions are valid and asked only to try to help...

If you don't have a E sized plotter why are you using large size sheets.. 

I just have access to ANSI B max and as such I only do drawings on A/B sized paper

Would you like to learn how to edit/create dimension styles.. Its fairly easy IMO..?

I'm sure there are some tutorials that you could follow also..

Explain whats "very unintuitive".. Each program I've ever used has its own way of doing things but training and a little learning has always been sufficient for me. 

Message 12 of 20
rjstrock
in reply to: mcgyvr

First of all, it's "their" NOT "there." Secondly, I DO have a plotter that large, but if you had any real world experience, you would realize that not everyone throughout a supply chain has access to one. Oftentimes, someone wants to print out a file on a letter-sized page, for whatever reason, and it's nice to actually be able to read the dimensions. I WAS able to figure out how to change the dimension size on my own, and NO it was not very intuitive. If it was, people wouldn't be posting questions on how to do it, would they?

Message 13 of 20
mcgyvr

@rjstrock wrote:

First of all, it's "their" NOT "there." Secondly, I DO have a plotter that large, but if you had any real world experience, you would realize that not everyone throughout a supply chain has access to one. Oftentimes, someone wants to print out a file on a letter-sized page, for whatever reason, and it's nice to actually be able to read the dimensions. I WAS able to figure out how to change the dimension size on my own, and NO it was not very intuitive. If it was, people wouldn't be posting questions on how to do it, would they?

Someone needs a hug Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 20
rjstrock

@mcgyvr wrote:

@rjstrock wrote:

Someone needs a hug Smiley Very Happy

Are you asking or offering? 😛

Message 15 of 20
rjstrock

As I said in my post, even though I have access to a plotter that will print a large page, I don't always know what printing capabilities my customers have. Many people only have the ability to print a 8.5" x 11" sheet. This makes reading dimensions on a large print almost impossible. Making the dimensions slightly larger can be a easy compromise. It would be nice if it were easier to change the font size like in AutoCAD. I know how to change the font in Inventor, but it is not very intuitive IMO.

Message 16 of 20
rjstrock

Thank you! Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Message 17 of 20
rjstrock

Oh great. I just responded to my own post -_-

Message 18 of 20
mcgyvr

@rjstrock wrote:

Oh great. I just responded to my own post -_-

@rjstrock Are you familiar with the Inventor IdeaStation where users like yourself can post "ideas" to help improve the software?

Its right here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

That is the best place to offer suggestions to improve the software..

Other users can then comment and "give kudos" to an idea to let Autodesk know if its something thats important to a lot of users (high number of kudos) or just a few (low priority)

Please search the ideastation before posting though to avoid duplicate ideas..

Message 19 of 20

Hi rjstrock,

The original poster appeared to be a student using the Project Lead the Way tutorial set, and so we deduced that the question asked about font size was not really the correct question. Each year we see a number of questions related to the PLTW program here on the Inventor forum, and many busy professionals in the Inventor community take the time to help those students find some answers.

As for the question concerning changing the font, you mention that you figured out how to do it, but that it was different than the way you would do it in AutoCAD. In AutoCAD users can easily create style overrides, which can be a mess in the long run, and often creates more work downstream from the CAD admin's point of view.  In Inventor you can still create style overrides, but the style and standards tools are much more geared toward working with set styles. This makes the management of styles much more tidy.

So I think the proper way to solve the issue of dimension text being too small on a large sheet, printed at smaller size would be to create an alternate Dimension style that calls a text style with a larger font. Then you can easily select all of the dimensions on the sheet ( SHIFT + right click and choose Select All Inventor Dimensions ) and then use the Style dropdown on the Annotation tab of the Ribbon to set them all to use the alternate dimension style. This makes this task quick and easy, and doesn't create the messy style overrides or user induced style variances that we have to deal with so often in AutoCAD.

As mcgyvr mentioned, if you have thoughts on the how to improve this (beyond make it like AutoCAD Smiley Wink ), the Idea Forum is the place to suggest them.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 20 of 20

i think your part diamission  depend  on your selection like feet,inc,etc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report