Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining Item Numbers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jw3805
211 Views, 4 Replies

Maintaining Item Numbers

Say i have a part in an assembly, and it is item 5. I then replace that part with a new one, in the drawing in the parts list it is no longer item 5, it is moved to the last item number. Is there a way for it to maintain the item number of the part it replaced so my parts list aren't changing all the time?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dlmsdm1
in reply to: jw3805

Go to your iam bom, click on new item number, change to desired item number, then re-order (AZ tab at top)

Message 3 of 5
jw3805
in reply to: dlmsdm1

I understand how to do it manually that way, i wanted to know if there was a way to set it up that when i replace the part it automatically maintains the item number of the part it replaced without me having to manually edit the BOM.
Message 4 of 5
cbenner

The item number depends on how you have your BOM sorted in the .iam file.  By part number, stock number... whatever.  If that changes, the part's order in the BOM will change.  If the sort method forces your part further down in the list after re-sorting and re-numbering... then manually will be the only way to force it back to a specific item number.

Message 5 of 5
blair

In basic, No, but if you keep your Parts list in your IAM browser sorted by Part Number, your BOM list, sorted by Part Number and keep your BOM in your drawing sorted by Part Number, it's much easier to find items. The majority of BOM lists in drawings are sorted by Part Number. Inventor by default, just adds new to the bottom of the list.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report