Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro for Inserting text and current date

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jjkoz78
3393 Views, 4 Replies

Macro for Inserting text and current date

Hi,

I'm completely new to VBA, so I really don't know anything about the code, and it seems like everywhere I look for help it's assumed that I should already know a lot about it.  I'm trying to find a macro that will insert text into a certain spot on my drawing.  I want to put it on a button so that when I click the button it inserts "REVISION - 12/5/12", or whatever the current date is, into my title block.  Does anything like this exist?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: jjkoz78

Hi jjkoz78, 

Here's a basic step-by-step to do this with iLogic code:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2012/01/creating-basic-ilogic-rule-with-event.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 5
jjkoz78
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

It looks like it would probably help (if I can get everything in place first).  I'm using Inventor 2008 and don't have iLogic.  I've tried to download it, but I have to link up my subscription to my user account on Autodesk's website, and it's telling me that my account has been closed or canceled or something like that.  Isn't there just some simple VBA code out there somewhere that can do what I'm wanting?  I can't believe it's this complicated.

Message 4 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi jjkoz78,

I do have a VBA sample that will do what you want also. I'll try to post it in a hour or so. Are you familiar with setting the code up to run?

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 5 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi jjkoz78,

Here is the VBA code for the time and date, as well as an attached sample file. The sample file is an Inventor 2010 file, sorry that's as far back as I can go.

I found this on the Customization Forum some time ago (thanks to whom ever wrote it originally). This code is set up to write the system time and date to custom iProperties when the file is saved, so you need to have the text fields set up to look at the custom iProperties in the file ahead of time (such as in the titleblock or border).

I've had some issues with 64 bit systems and other VBA code, but I think this works okay. However, it's been a while since I've used it.

To place this in your Inventor drawing file, open the file and then Press ALT + F11 to open the VBA editor. Locate the file you want to add the code to in the project browser and then set the ThisDocument node for that file active and paste in the code as shown in the attached image.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Option Explicit

Public Sub AutoSave()

Call AddSysDateTime

End Sub

Public Sub AddSysDateTime()

Dim oPropSet

On Error Resume Next

'Check if the active document is a Drawing

If ThisApplication.ActiveDocumentType = kDrawingDocumentObject Then

'Add a custom property "SysDate" with system date

Set oPropSet = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.PropertySets("{D5CDD505-2E9C-101B-9397-08002B2CF9AE}")

'As a workaround the property must be delete because it can not be changed

oPropSet.Item("SysDate").Delete

Call oPropSet.Add(Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy"), "SysDate")

'Add a custom property "SysTime" with system time

Set oPropSet = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument.PropertySets("{D5CDD505-2E9C-101B-9397-08002B2CF9AE}")

'As a workaround the property must be delete because it can not be changed

oPropSet.Item("SysTime").Delete

Call oPropSet.Add(Format(Time, "h:mm:ss am/pm"), "SysTime")

'Still having some problems that the last property does not update correct

Call RefreshProperties

End If

End Sub

Private Sub RefreshProperties()

Dim oPropSet

Call oPropSet.Add("", "MyDummy")

oPropSet.Item("MyDummy").Delete

End Sub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report