Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop Length

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
RobJV
7347 Views, 27 Replies

Loop Length

How much longer do we have to work out equations to simply get the loop length of  a sweep into our parameters?

Does 2012 have this yet?  I just want to pass the sweep length parameter to my partslist without buying addins, wrtiting code, or calculating volumes and areas etc.

Rob

2011 Pro

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
neil.hamilton
in reply to: bobvdd

Dear Bob-

Thank you!

"If wishes were horses,
we'd all be eating steak!"
Message 22 of 28
bobvdd
in reply to: neil.hamilton

You're welcome Neil!

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 23 of 28
qall
in reply to: stevec781

Just wondering if its possible to dimension arc length of a bend in 3D sketch, hence trying to creating a parameter that can give total length of a 3D sketch route?

Message 24 of 28
johnsonshiue
in reply to: qall

Hi! Arc length dimension is available in 2D Sketch but not in 3D Sketch. In 3D Sketch, if you create a bend, the linear segments on both sides are still dimensioned to their untrimmed length (before the bend).

I don't think there is a way to constrain total length of lines and arcs in 3D Sketch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 25 of 28
qall
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Arc length dimension is available in 2D Sketch but not in 3D Sketch. In 3D Sketch, if you create a bend, the linear segments on both sides are still dimensioned to their untrimmed length (before the bend).

I don't think there is a way to constrain total length of lines and arcs in 3D Sketch.

Many thanks!

Hi John!

Thanks for your response, I am actually looking to retrieve total length (derieved length) of the loop in 3D sketch by creating a parameter. So that can be exported to drawing part list.

Not trying to constrain the sketch using loop length as a function.

Possible to do this in an another way?

Message 26 of 28
johnsonshiue
in reply to: qall

Hi! This can be done via iLogic rule or VBA code. There is an API call to measure the loop length of a given curve. Another way is to take volume of the part (assuming it is a single solid body part) and divide it by the area of the sketch (assuming all loops participate in the sweep). You will get the length.

Here is a sample iLogic rule. "AREA", "VOLUME", and "LENGTH" are all user parameters with proper unit respectively.

AREA = Measure.Area("Sketch1")
VOLUME = iProperties.Volume
LENGTH = VOLUME/AREA

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 27 of 28
bryan
in reply to: bobvdd

Bob,

Would this work for a 3D sketch? I am looking at having a curve length from a 3D sketch fall out in the parameters.

Thanks,

Brandon Ryan

Message 28 of 28
qall
in reply to: bryan

@bryan wrote:

Bob,

Would this work for a 3D sketch? I am looking at having a curve length from a 3D sketch fall out in the parameters.

Thanks,

Brandon Ryan

Hi @bryan

This solutions is for 3D sketchs. As its not possible to dimensions arc length in them. So the way around is to create volume and use the formula to calculate length. It was to automate acquiring length parameter in a 3dsketch.

Otherwise measure>loop to get the length manually in any sketch form.

//qall

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report