Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for guidance on hardware (true server vs workstation for host).

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SHCS
357 Views, 4 Replies

Looking for guidance on hardware (true server vs workstation for host).

Greetings. First post. Hopefully someone can offer some quick guidance. 

A client has come to me for guidance on something that’s a little out of my area of experience. They are implementing an Autodesk Inventor installation that will work in conjunction with a custom front end they've built. Essentially they've built a front end which will interface with an SQL database to compile a list of components for a made to order item. Their front end will then pass the information on to Inventor for rendering and printing. The front ends will be on client stations. Inventor will be installed on a dedicated system running essentially Inventor and SQL, nothing else. 

In my talks with them they've been repeated dropping the 'Server' word. And it is their understanding that we need a full blown server to run this. From everything I've read a high end Workstation with appropriate graphics (Quadro or high end Direct 3D) would suffice. 

In fact, as far as I can see, the recommended system spec don't include any of the Server OSs. I'm thinking that may have answered my question right there. We know the hardware specs we need, the client admirably is planning to over purchase as far as hardware goes. We know we'll benefit from workstation graphics. The question is 'True Server with Server OS' or Workstation running Win 7/Win 8 to host. 

Question One: Anyone have any experience with this kind of Client / Server setup. Any insight on the Server vs Workstation option would be appreciated. 

Question Two: In the past when looking for custom systems for specific purposes (video editing comes to mind) I've been able to find online vendors specializing in specifically that area. I've only found one such vendor for Inventor and they're in the UK. Does anyone know of any North American vendor specializing in systems specifically geared to work well with Autodesk products. I'd prefer to pass this client on to a vendor with exactly the experience he's looking for then botch any recommendations myself. 

Thank you in advance for any insight any of you may give. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DarrenP
in reply to: SHCS

@SHCS wrote:

Greetings. First post. Hopefully someone can offer some quick guidance. 

Question Two: In the past when looking for custom systems for specific purposes (video editing comes to mind) I've been able to find online vendors specializing in specifically that area. I've only found one such vendor for Inventor and they're in the UK. Does anyone know of any North American vendor specializing in systems specifically geared to work well with Autodesk products. I'd prefer to pass this client on to a vendor with exactly the experience he's looking for then botch any recommendations myself. 

Thank you in advance for any insight any of you may give. 

are you talking about Citrix? if yes IMSCAD (U.K based) are the only ones that i know of that tests this with autodesk products

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
dgorsman

Technically may be feasable - we can install SQL Server on a workstation and run various software from it.  Depending on the number of users hitting up the SQL Server database, you may very well need a full-on server complete with multiple processors *and* SQL Server licensing to match.

But if I'm reading that right you may have bigger problems.  First, Inventor isn't built to run on s a server OS (SQL Server is) and isn't supported in that environment.  Second, running a remote session of Inventor on a "server" (workstation or otherwise) from a users desktop could very well be a EULA violation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
SHCS

Thank you guys for your insights. I appreciate your quick responses. 

I was able to locate a consultant familiar with both Inventor/SQL and hardware options. I passed the client on to him as what the client was requesting was a little out of my area of experience. 

That being said, I'll pass your comments about the EULA on to him. 

Message 5 of 5
swalton

I've never used it, but this sounds like Inventor ETO.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-engineer-to-order/overview

You might have your customer take a look at this tool too.

Another choice might be to have the engineers use plain Inventor, and store the designs in Vault.  Then the front end aplication can pull the needed data from the Vault server.  Maybe they can use the Vault Job Processor to generate the manufacturing files and renders.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report