Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a mentor to help me with the basics

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mrobinson63117
580 Views, 10 Replies

Looking for a mentor to help me with the basics

I am new to 3D modeling but not to the use of autocad for 2D drawings.  I recently downloaded Inventor13 but don't have a clue where to start even though I've gone through all the included videos.

I have the plans for a set of benches I would like to use for my maiden voyage.  It's simple but complex enough to get me going.  My goal is to have all the parts, assembly, and BOM when it's done.  What I am mostly confused about is where to start.

Let me know if you are willing to help and I'll email the plans to you.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
SBix26
in reply to: mrobinson63117

You will model each piece as a separate part file (.ipt), then put them together in an assembly file (.iam).  Then you will create drawings (.idw or .dwg) to show how they are constructed.  The drawing of your assembly will also include a parts list.

There are other more advanced methods for accomplishing this, but since you're just beginning, start with the basics.

Look for tutorials on basic part modeling to begin with, and specifically check out JD Mather's material here.

If you run into difficulties, post your files here and ask for help.

Message 3 of 11
Cadmanto

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

My best advise to you since you are new to 3D modeling would be to go on to youtube and look at video tutorials on part, assembly and drawing creation.  There are a ton of helpful videos.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 11

I recommend that you look for some training from your local Autodesk reseller or technical college to get you started. there is no better way IMHO to learn your way around a new user interface than to have someone show you round it.

It helped me to have a book to work through as I learned the basics. I recommend Curtis Waguespack's 'Mastering Inventor':

http://cadsetterout.com/reviews/mastering-autodesk-inventor-2012-by-curtis-waguespack/

I put this post together for Inventor 'Newbies' that you might find Helpful:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-for-woodworkers-where-do-i-start/

I put this series of tutrials together on the various diffent meathods of creating your assemblies that you might also find helpful:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/autodesk-inventor-assembly-techniques-for-woodworkers/

I recommend startting with modelling a simple single part, and then working your way up to aasemblies.

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress!

Paul

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 11
JDMather

If (when?) you get stuck attach what you have been able to complete here so that others can offer suggestions.

There are also many classes here http://au.autodesk.com , but Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation.  You could climb the hill much faster in a traditional class-room setting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
msklein

You didn't list you're location, if in US check out you're local junior collage. Other countries might have similar schools. Costs are reasonable look for the Saturday classes, one class better than two or three nights. Around 10 weeks. Should also qualify you for the student edition at book store which is a year license for a nominal fee.

Good luck

msk

Message 7 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: msklein

msklein wrote:

Should also qualify you for the student edition at book store which is a year license for a nominal fee.

Good luck

msk

Any student, of any age, anywhere in the world can download FREE 3-yr student license of Inventor from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

There is also a rather extensive video tutorial linked from that site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
mrobinson63117
in reply to: msklein

Thank you everyone for your input.  Maybe a little background about me would be helpful.  I have been using AutoCad since before the 386 was the fastest computer on the planet.  I have worked in engineering depts where I either designed equipment for the Ag industry and/or helped with designs.

I live in Indianapolis and work full time so going to school is difficult unless it's a night course.  So far I have not been able to find any that fit my schedule.

I have played with Mechanical Desktop and have already done some 3-D models but I can't seem to find what the logical sequence is to doing more complex assemblies.

The bench that I want to do in Inventor is really simple but where do I start?  Should I start with a sketch of the whole unit in the completed form?  I'm not looking for anyone to give me videos on how-to.  I just want someone to point me in the right direction and let me figure each step out on my own.  I figure that way I will learn better, find where more commands are and their use, and learn at my own pace.

Message 9 of 11
jtylerbc

@mrobinson63117 wrote:

The bench that I want to do in Inventor is really simple but where do I start?  Should I start with a sketch of the whole unit in the completed form?  I'm not looking for anyone to give me videos on how-to.  I just want someone to point me in the right direction and let me figure each step out on my own.  I figure that way I will learn better, find where more commands are and their use, and learn at my own pace.

There are some advanced techniques (skeletal modeling, multibody parts, etc) where that is what you would do.  For a beginner, however, I'd recommend starting out by just building your parts individually and then putting them together in an assembly manually.  I think doing it that way (which, for Inventor, is the "old fashioned" way) will give you a better understanding of fundamental concepts.

Once you get some experience using that basic technique, then you can start learning about the more advanced methods to become more efficient.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

@mrobinson63117 wrote:

I have played with Mechanical Desktop and have already done some 3-D models but I can't seem to find what the logical sequence is to doing more complex assemblies.

Forget MDT.

File>new Part and create a part and post it here.

Repeat for each part in assembly (be sure to post each file here for suggestions on technique)

File>new Assembly and start putting the parts together.

...then

we can look at alternative techniques using skeletal modeling (perhaps with the Frame Generator)

and/or

multi-body solids techniques.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
msklein
in reply to: JDMather

MY bad, i should have worded that better spliting the JC from the software comments.

MSK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report