Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a good sheet metal nesting program.

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
zma1013
17715 Views, 40 Replies

Looking for a good sheet metal nesting program.

We use a manual shear to cut the majority of our pieces but creating a cut sheet is a time consuming process.  Does anyone know of a good sheet metal nesting program for use in efficiently placing square and rectangular shapes on sheet metal?  It doesn't necessarily have to integrate with Inventor, but that would be a nice bonus.  This is not for any kind of CNC machine, it's just for making cut sheets faster.

I've been looking at one from Striker Systems but they don't seem to have a free trial.  I requested info from them so I'm waiting on that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IV2012

Windows XP SP3 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI 256MB Vram
2 GB Ram
160GB HDD
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
ShawnGaul
in reply to: blair

Hi, Blair, do you have this table of metric version ? If you do, can you kindly send one copy? It will be grateful,thank you.

Message 22 of 41
dox32
in reply to: ShawnGaul

Did you try: DG Nest Pro true shape automatic nesting software?

Message 23 of 41
blair
in reply to: ShawnGaul

Sorry only the imperial version.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 24 of 41
vince.adams
in reply to: ovidiuse

Autodesk TruNest provides unparalleled access and automation to Inventor users requiring sheet metal nesting.  Finding "A Nest" is commonplace these days. Finding the best nest and determining a cutting path that minimizes scrap and cutting time is where Autodesk TruNest stands out from the pack.  I'd strongly giving TruNest a look!

Message 25 of 41
masterkreek
in reply to: vince.adams

Is there a free trial version for TruNest? I currently have Pronest for our hypertherm machines, but loading large dxf files are very slow.

Message 26 of 41
vince.adams
in reply to: masterkreek

TruNest will be available shortly in Autodesk Product Design & Mfg Collection at no additional charge.

You can reach out to your partner or directly to me with questions.

Vince Adams
Message 27 of 41
Thomas_Savage

Hello @vince.adams

I currently use Radan. And it is an awful piece of software!

I manually write a G-Code most the time so i do not use it.

I have got in touch with the reseller that supply's our Autodesk products. And they have no information about TruNest.

They had not even heard of it.

Which i was quite disappointed. As i really wanted to have a go at using this software.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 28 of 41
vince.adams
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

Hi Thomas, please reach out directly to me at Vince.Adams@autodesk.com & we’ll work this out.
Message 29 of 41
Thomas_Savage

Thank you @vince.adams

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 30 of 41
blair
in reply to: Thomas_Savage

I found Radan to be cumbersome to use, we switch to ProNest a while back.

I did some work woth "Columbus" (part of Esab) software. It was right up there with Radan for cumbersome but you did have great control. Some times we need a single profile for a repair or custom work and Radan works well for that as well.

I look forward to seeing what TrueNest will be like when it's released.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 31 of 41
Thomas_Savage

I feel the same, on simple parts it's fine. But as soon as i create a more complex flat pattern, it is a nightmare.

Also, when i have a problem with Radan, and get in touch with them, I never really get a solution. Just a workaround, that doesn't really do what i want it to.

I have not used any other software like Radan. Only G-coder.

Where i manually place the tools, then get the coordinates, and angle. Then type the tool number, angle, then X & Y coordinates for the tool.

This is why i wanted to try TruNest. I am also excited to see what TruNest is like.

Also, i know we will get good support off this forum, and Autodesk, when we have a problem with the software.

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 32 of 41
vince.adams

Blair, are you using an Esab machine for grating?
Message 33 of 41
dpete
in reply to: zma1013

We ended up using Radan with some customization we had them write for us. Still a couple of things we would like to improve but it pulls straight from Inventor and then creates the nest.

Would like to get info about Trunest.

Message 34 of 41
blair

Yes, with both HD Plasma and Fuel-Gas for cutting. We still need the fuel-gas for some 2"-3" plate. 

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 35 of 41
Mark.Lancaster

Just throwing this option out there: https://beta.autodesk.com/key/nestingpreview  Might be great opportunity for you to get on the beta team and see how it works and offer your suggestion.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 36 of 41

Thanks Mark! That was going to be my suggestion.
Message 37 of 41
blair
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks, I've hit the website and posted a question or two.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 38 of 41
krishnadevo200
in reply to: zma1013

I have been working on different software for the manufacturing  process , but the best which i have found with accuracy and appropriate to use is AUTO DESK INVENTOR NESTING.

They also have separate trial version for nesting which need not have auto desk inventor  and can also read different files like  IGES , DXF files .

for more detail info. u can see the requirements at its official site.

@zma1013wrote:

We use a manual shear to cut the majority of our pieces but creating a cut sheet is a time consuming process.  Does anyone know of a good sheet metal nesting program for use in efficiently placing square and rectangular shapes on sheet metal?  It doesn't necessarily have to integrate with Inventor, but that would be a nice bonus.  This is not for any kind of CNC machine, it's just for making cut sheets faster.

I've been looking at one from Striker Systems but they don't seem to have a free trial.  I requested info from them so I'm waiting on that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 39 of 41

Hello @krishnadevo200 I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Thanks for the information, here is a good link about the newly released option:

Nesting Utility 2019 is now Live!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 40 of 41

I have been quoted fr the full radan /quoting managing and profiling nesting software as well as trunest  could you please tell me what you dont like about radan?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report