Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long time publishing DWF

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jeff.noel
2078 Views, 9 Replies

Long time publishing DWF

So I had a long post typed out, then when I tried to post it, the forum gave an error and I lost it.  So this one will be quite brief.

Anyone else have publishing DWFx's take a long time for them?  I have one that is going on 15 hours right now, it is a larger assembly (by our standards, but probably nothing compared to what some people have for assemblies), and it has alot of Tube & Pipe, and Cable & Harness runs in it.  

All I have for options is:

Enable Measure

Enable Print

Enable Mark Ups

Enable Mark Up Edit

Facet Quality Medium

DWF Type DWFx

Screenshot DPI 96

I was gonna try to lower the Facet Quality to Low, but as the only in formation I can find on it is that it "Changes the resolution of the DWF", I don't know how much time it will save me, or if it will really ruin the quality of the DWF. 

Anyone else have any ideas how I could decrease the time it takes to publish a DWFx, or am I stuck with my 15+ hour wait time.  I know Autodesk wants to really push DWF's, but it is a tough sell when if I am asked on Monday to make a change to my model, that the shop wants to see (we will be using DWF's so that the shop is able to view our 3D models, specifically the Tube & Pipe, and Cable & Harness runs), that I will tell them I can make the change right away, but they won't be able to see the changes until the following Monday, as I need to leave publish over the weekend.

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bobvdd
in reply to: jeff.noel

A couple of things I would like to ask first.

You don't mention the version you are using.

If you use version 2010 and shrinkwraps make sure to install this hotfix

Do you try to open the ADR viewer at the end of the publishing process?

I am asking because we are aware of a performance problem with the ADR viewer for large DWF files (DID1400181)

If it is non of this and you are on a newer version, I would like to see the files. Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 10
jeff.noel

I am using both Inventor 2013 and Vault Workgroup 2013.  I typically create DWF's by queuing them in the Job Server in Vault, and letting the Job Server run overnight, but I have also tried skipping Vault and creating the dwf right in Inventor (either by publishing the dwf on check in, or by going to Export -> Export to DWF, all result in similar times).  

No, I do not try to open ADR right after it is completed.

I let it run last night, and it never completed again, this was using the Job Server.  I'll try again tonight, but just try making the dwf using Inventors Export to DWF, to confirm they are still the same, but like I said, I have never noticed any time difference before whether I create it through the Job Server, or though Inventor directly, so I'm not expecting much different.

I would love to give you the files, only problem is that alot of the content in our models is protected with NDA's.  

I do have some models of puchased components in my model, that were supplied by the manufacturer.  They are typically very detailed, and were step files that were converted to .ipt's.  I've wondered if it is more likely them that is causing the slowness, or all the tube & Pipe and Cable & Harness runs that would slow it down.  

I could provide some pictures (off forum) of several areas of the model, so you could get a sense of what it is I'm working with.  I realize pictures are of very little benefit to you, I'm sure, but at this point its about the best I can do I think, with not being able to share the actual model.  

P.S. It seems the forum is now broken when using Inventor, whenever I try to post it gives me an error message.  It is forcing me to use....IE.....

Message 4 of 10
jeff.noel

So last night I tried doing an "Export to DWF" directly from Inventor, and it was stil chugging away this morning when I came in.  Doesn't seem to be any time difference whether I do it in Inventor, or using the Job Server, both take a very long time.

Message 5 of 10
bobvdd

Jeff,

Can we quantify your "large T&P assembly" a little bit better?

I would like to know

- number of unique components

- number of instances  (both numbers can be found at the lower right corner of your Inventor status bar)

- you export DWF from the 3D model I understand, right? Or are you creating DWF from teh 2D drawing?

Could you create a single drawing iso view from your assembly with hidden lines removed and then run below macro?

To my knowledge the DWF creation process is proportional to the number of edges. So I would like to know how many edges a single assembly view contains. That might help me understand the order of magnitude you are dealing with.

Thanks

Bob

Sub edgecount()
Dim odoc As DrawingDocument
Set odoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
Dim osheet As Sheet
Dim oview As DrawingView
Dim oedge As DrawingCurve
Dim count As Long
count = 0
For Each osheet In odoc.Sheets
For Each oview In osheet.DrawingViews
For Each oedge In oview.DrawingCurves
count = count + 1
Next oedge
Next oview
Next osheet
MsgBox ("Number of edges = " + str(count))
End Sub

Bob Van der Donck

Message 6 of 10
jeff.noel

Yes, sorry, I know large is a pretty vague word to use.  It is a large assembly by our standards, but not even close to what you may consider a "large" assembly I'm sure.

There are 530 unique parts, with 1987 instances.  And yes, I am exporting the DWF from the 3D model.

I picked the view that I figured would show the most amount of edges and got 19,173.  It is tough in one view to show all the detail in the model, so I also took edge counts of the two main sub assemblies as well.

The larger sub assembly had an edge count of 19,982.

The smaller sub assembly had an edge count of 4,343.

Let me know if you need any more information. 

Message 7 of 10
bobvdd

Thanks Jeff for the extra details.

To give you an idea of the numbers that I get in 2013 with DWF publishing.

I can publish a DWF file of 235 000 edges in 1.5 minutes. Your 20 000 edges dataset takes 15+ hr.

My data set is an order of magnitude larger than yours, still I publish it in a fraction of the time it takes you.

All this tells me that we are looking here at a bug or there is something abnormal at play on your end (either data set specific or machine specific).

Without the ability to disect your assembly, very little I can do at this point other than say that it is out of the norm.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 8 of 10
jeff.noel
in reply to: bobvdd

Thanks,

I'll try publishing on a different machine to try and rule out anything being machine specific.

I understand you can't do much without getting our files.  I can look into seeing if there is a way I can get them for you.  Have you ever had to work with customers files that are covered by an NDA before?  This may be best taken off-forum as well if you are interested in pursuing this further.  It would be greatly appreciated if we somehow could work on trying to get this resolved, as I've spent alot of time documening our Pneumatic and Electrical runs, only now to hit a brick wall which may make my work all for nothing. 

Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 10
bobvdd

If you want to take this off-line,send the NDA to bob.van.der.donck@autodesk.com  I'll sign and return it as PDF by email.

Data can be uploaded as a single zip file to Autodesk 360 and then privately shared with me.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 10 of 10
dmarcantonio

What worked for me was to uncheck "Publish In Background" and uncheck "Open in Viewer When Done"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report