Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lofting/extruding to a point, along a curve?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
djsoundcrafter
832 Views, 5 Replies

Lofting/extruding to a point, along a curve?

Hi all, fairly new user here. Coming from Sketchup to real big boy tools. I watched the tutorial videos and tried poking around a bit for this specific answer but came up a bit short.

What I'm trying to do is loft a face to a point. Easy enough. I've got my point established on an offset work plane, and I can just loft to that, however, I get nothing but straight lines. (First attachment)

An example of the ideal outcome in SketchUp is the second attachment.

I'm having the most difficulty trying to draw the curves along which I want the face to be lofted because, even as I sketch along my 2D plane, I can't snap the endpoints of my arcs to the endpoints of the face (or the point to which they'll all connect). Can I get some tips as to how to make this happen? File in progress attached.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: djsoundcrafter

Blade Base sketch is not constrained.  You might start here.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Point Plane is not needed.

You do not have a sketch point to loft to.

You do not have any Rails (guide curves).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Don't look at this till you have gone through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and the pdf I linked previously.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
djsoundcrafter
in reply to: JDMather

What's the key to drawing the guide rails? Since they're perpendicular to the base plane, how can I fix their starting points to it? I didn't seem to find this in tutorials.

Message 5 of 6

Hi djsoundcrafter,

You can use the Project Geometry tool to bring geometry in from existing sketches. So if you create a sketch on an origin plane running perpendicular to the base sketch, you can then use Project Geometry to pull in the corner of the base sketch as point from which you can constrain the rail sketches.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6

Awesome, thanks very much, Curtis, and JD for your useful tutorial!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report