Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
Winnovations
Message 11 of 15 (196 Views)

Re: Loft to Flat Pattern

01-14-2012 05:37 PM in reply to: Winnovations

Oak,

Here are a couple of things that I have learned (the hard way) in making flat patterns.

I'll use "from existing.ipt" as a reference

when you do a sweep (SweepSfr1)- make sure you choose "parallel" & not "path"  -   path creates a complex compression curve that cannot be created.  If you choose parallel the curve created can be seen on one existing plane.  (more on this below)

Your sweeps would be better as an extrude.  I think this would solve most of your issues.

The way the unfold works - if you can see the curve along a plane, with no twisting, then the part will unfold.  A twist will work only if it is between two straight lines.

I changed your file - I extruded Sketch 17 & 18  & suppressed Sweeps 1 & 2.  the parts will now flatten.  

maybe this will get you the remainder of the way

RB

oak_roberts
Message 12 of 15 (194 Views)

01-14-2012 06:17 PM in reply to: oak_roberts

Sorted!! Thought it was that I'd used splines, but then saw your reply and attached file. Cheers for the details on sweeping, I could probably do with reading some in depth articles on certain tools as I think thats where I'm lacking most being self taught.

I'll now spend days trying out twisted flattening:smileytongue:, if I can get that working it really will open some oppertunities for some really nice shapes! I'm guessing a loft between 2 lines along a rail?

Thanks very much for all your help, much apreciated!

Oak.

Brad-Lakeland
Message 13 of 15 (50 Views)

06-02-2014 05:48 PM in reply to: Winnovations

I am also struggling to get my loft to flat pattern, I have tryed your method and still have no result, any chance you could have a look at where i am struggling ? and give me some well needed feed back ? I hope i have attached the file correctly

Valued Mentor
coreyparks
Message 14 of 15 (35 Views)

06-03-2014 09:13 AM in reply to: Winnovations

Inventor can only flatten things that are bent in one direction.  When you have something bent in multiple directions it can.t calculate a flat pattern.  So, something that gets formed into say a dish shape, however minor, will not work.  The bow of your hull section is bent in multiple directions so it will not be able to be flattened.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
IV2014 Factory Design Suite Ultimate
Windows 7 64 bit
Synergis Adept document management software
16gb RAM --- Nvidia Quadro 4000 2gb
Brad-Lakeland
Message 15 of 15 (27 Views)

06-03-2014 12:35 PM in reply to: coreyparks

oh ok that makes sense then. So is it possable to achieve that shape in invnetor as flat pattern, my guess is no ?

thanks for your help

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.