Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loft Side Of Cylinder To Side Of Flat Geometry

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1313 Views, 14 Replies

Loft Side Of Cylinder To Side Of Flat Geometry

I'm trying to draw a sketch on the side of this downtube, but cannot because it is both a lofted feature and there's also a fillet in the region where I'd like to draw the sketch.  Once the sketch is drawn I want to loft it to the side of the cylinder.  Any gurus in here that can school me on how to accomplish this? 

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Create 2D sketch on planar face and then use to Split the face to use for Loft or get 3D sketch intersection (Project).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD but I have no idea what any of that means...

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

1.  What is the "planar surface" you're referring to?

2.  I've never done the "split face" operation.  What is that?

Message 5 of 15
JDMather

1. Workplane or planar face of part.

2. I have a bunch of tutorials here  http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I appreciate that you have many tutorials at the link, however, I just perused them and see nothing that pertains to my situation.  Additionally, like you I also work a primary job during the day and try to work on this project evenings and weekends.  Time is short and I don't have weeks to dig through umpteen tutorials viewing information that isn't going to help me overcome this problem and if by chance I do find something I'll spend days trying to learn how to perform the operation which drags me further off course from my original problem.

So is there a more direct means of finding the information I need or not?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Looks like JD is too busy to give me a hand.  Anyone else in here that can walk me through this?

Message 8 of 15
LT.Rusty

Take a screenshot, scribble on it to mark up what you're trying to accomplish.  Reading through what you've written here has left me somewhat unclear on your end-state objective.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thanks for your response.  

I'm trying to put a .75 fillet on all 4 of the long lofted edges, top to bottom.

Additionally, I'm trying to connect the cylinder to the nearest side of the structure, beginning roughly .65 above the facedraft extending approx 2 inches up from that point.  

Hope that makes sense...

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Sorry about that.  Just realized I grabbed the wrong attachment.  Here's the right one...

Message 11 of 15
hosford

if I were you, I would start over. unless I am missing somthing, I believe you only need one extrusion for the major portion, then fillet that with your 3/4" fillets, then use the bottom surface as a reference for your cylinder and bracket, then loft the bottom to the round it looks like you have.

if it is as simple as it looks it should take no more than 10 minutes.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: hosford

I don't mind starting over. In fact, this is the 4th version of this part.

It appears that the difficulty is stemming from fillets 32-37. When I make those fillets I lose the ability to make the .75 radius fillets along the long edges. I guess I'm distorting the part too much from its original size and it's no longer symmetrical enough to make those fillets.

Now I'm wondering if I used the sweep function instead, if that would be a better solution?
Message 13 of 15
hosford

its hard to understand the issues you are having when there is only one view and no idea of the size.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: hosford

Good point.  Here's a few other views to give you a better idea of what's going on...

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Forgot to add these other two before I posted...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report